1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Debate help needed: Teacher or parent?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by berolmarsh, Jan 24, 2016.

1. berolmarsh

berolmarsh New commenter

My secondary-age daughter is preparing a debate discussing the ever blurring lines between parental and teacher roles and responsibilities. She would love some feedback related to things that are happening in primary and secondary schools that perhaps in the past would have been undertaken at home (these may well fall under Pupil Premium funded activities).

As examples, in schools that I have worked in/know about, schools have taken on responsibility for:
    -brushing teeth
    -transporting reluctant learners to school
    -toilet training
    -teachers sitting with children at lunch time to replicate a family meal
    -taking children out regularly in the local vicinity to broaden their extremely limited experiences and language skills.

Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

2. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

A friend works at a local primary. There is a washing machine and in some cases they change pupils into PE kit and wash their uniform.

berolmarsh likes this.
  3. onmyknees

onmyknees Established commenter

An increasing need for Pastoral staff to be employed in primary schools.
    ELSA (Emotional Literacy Support Assistant) are pretty common in primary schools. Both the above roles are needed more and more to provide stability at school where kids have none at home.
    I run and attend more and more Team around the Family Meetings, where parents can be given parental targets to achieve fil in order that we can measure that their parenting capacity in improving.
    Parent and grandparent volunteers are common place in primary schools now to supplement the 1:1 reading that many parents don't do at home now.
    Homework clubs in primary schools are commonplace.

berolmarsh likes this.
  4. berolmarsh

berolmarsh New commenter

Thank you. This reminds me of the Welsh Head Teacher's recent letter to parents that went viral. It will be a great addition to my daughter's speech.

5. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Not that this is relevant to your daughter's debate but when I started teaching nursery back in 1972, we used to wash children's hair in Suleo at school to de-louse them.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2016
    berolmarsh likes this.
  6. marlin

marlin Star commenter

There was a discussion on this forum (started last Friday), about school lunches. Parents, it seems, expecting schools to provide meals at lunchtime without having to pay for them.

Bread and Butter

7. berolmarsh

berolmarsh New commenter

Many thanks; I'll have a look at that thread.

8. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

My TA used to cut the hair of some kids. Reckoned it was less traumatic for them than having to go to the hairdresser.

9. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Glasgow nurseries do supervised teeth brushing with kids as part of a wider oral health programme. I think it is supposed to reinforce rather than replace parenting.

berolmarsh likes this.
  10. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

But your daughter should google Scotland's Named Person legislation if she really wants to see debate on this issue.

berolmarsh likes this.
  11. Cervinia

Cervinia Occasional commenter

Certain parents care only about their 'rights' and think nothing of their responsibilities when conceiving (and raising) their children.

The more schools do in this area, the more it absolves some of their responsibilities.

The Head of asecondary academy near us describes her pupils as "damaged" whenever they return from the 6 week holidays.

berolmarsh likes this.
  12. berolmarsh

berolmarsh New commenter

We have just read about the Named Person legislation. One word: scary! Where in the already heaving school day can that role be included?

Many thanks for the info as that one had passed us by.

13. ScotSEN

ScotSEN Senior commenter

All nurseries in Scotland have on oral hygiene programme and supervise toothbrushing.

However I've never heard of schools/nurseries washing/cutting hair or indeed under normal circumstances washing clothes.

14. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

When I worked in a Nursery class with full-time children(1980s) we supervised teeth brushing and face washing after lunch. In the 90s I washed children's clothing at school.

15. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

One might argue on a very general level that the existence of PSHCE in schools indicates a gap in childrens' upbringing that teachers end up having to fill. It might make a good opening point for a debate, before dealing with the specifics mentioned above.