1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Death warmed up!

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by Purplepasta326, Mar 13, 2011.

1. Purplepasta326

Purplepasta326 New commenter

The annual spring cold. Horrible, runny nose, achey bones etc. Wish I could take tomorrow off but in this glorious proffession feel unable to. Oh well- if thats the way it is...
    Anyone else feel unable to take sick leave when they are sick???

2. Purplepasta326

The annual spring cold. Horrible, runny nose, achey bones etc. Wish I could take tomorrow off but in this glorious proffession feel unable to. Oh well- if thats the way it is...
    Anyone else feel unable to take sick leave when they are sick???

3. Nope. If I'm sick I stay at home.

4. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

Why?

5. Purplepasta326

Because we are made to feel guilty for all of the pressure it puts on others, or the problems it causes having someone cover the class. From past experience- going off sick is more hassal than its worth.

6. I'm sure that they would prefer you to stay at home rather than spread your germs around the school. Get thee to thy bed and stay there until you are germ free. [​IMG]

7. Both replies are absolutely right, but I'm afraid I tend to end up (wrongly) doing the same as you. I believe that if you aren't well enough to do your job properly, you should stay home until you are well again. However, some workplaces (some schools, not all, and plenty of other places as well) create an ethos of visible suffering being a badge of honour. If anyone does have the sense to stay home, they get a hard time from the staff who wish they had the courage to do the same and resent people who do. This can extend to management as well. For example, at my school, if you are off sick the head covers your class and goes through your books, planning, etc. and you know that you're going to have a lovely 'feedback' session when you return to work.
    I'm now at the point where I do stay home when I need to, but feel horribly guilty the whole time!

8. jonowen

jonowen Occasional commenter

Purplepasta, do what you WANT to do and think is right. If you have children of your own (or nieces, nephews or kids if friends?) would you like that little one to be taught by someone ill?
    I think we all feel guilty about time off but such is life and illness happens! The world will carry on till you are better and rest will quicken up your recovery! Get rid of this before the Easter hols - hope you are feeling a little better today.
    (((((((((hugs-to-pp)))))))))

[​IMG]