1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

"Death to supply teachers": The right wing assault continues.

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by littleguide, Feb 26, 2011.

1. Secondary schools across Shropshire and Telford & Wrekin spent more than £2.2 million on supply teachers last year, new research suggests.
    For England the total figure was almost £300 million, which equates to spending of more than £100,000 per school, according to an analysis of Government figures by the TaxPayers’ Alliance. Schools in poorer areas are more likely to use supply teachers, the pressure group claimed.
    It said this suggesting that pupils most in need of stable teaching were not getting it.
    The report analysed figures on school spending, published last month. They show England’s state secondary schools, excluding academies, spent £293 million on supply teachers in 2009 to 2010.
    Schools in the Shropshire Council area paid a total of £1,269,703 while in Telford & Wrekin the figure was £1,029,907.
    The biggest spenders included Wrockwardine Wood Arts College —£230,923, Idsall School in Shifnal — £157,182 and Burton Borough, Newport — £140,134.

Read more: http://www.shropshirestar.com/education/2011/02/25/secondary-schools-in-shropshire-spend-2-2m-on-supply-teachers/#ixzz1F5QwzeKdSupply teachers - another vulnerable group like housing benefit claimants- another target in the tories drive to privatise public services.

2. Secondary schools across Shropshire and Telford & Wrekin spent more than £2.2 million on supply teachers last year, new research suggests.
    For England the total figure was almost £300 million, which equates to spending of more than £100,000 per school, according to an analysis of Government figures by the TaxPayers’ Alliance. Schools in poorer areas are more likely to use supply teachers, the pressure group claimed.
    It said this suggesting that pupils most in need of stable teaching were not getting it.
    The report analysed figures on school spending, published last month. They show England’s state secondary schools, excluding academies, spent £293 million on supply teachers in 2009 to 2010.
    Schools in the Shropshire Council area paid a total of £1,269,703 while in Telford & Wrekin the figure was £1,029,907.
    The biggest spenders included Wrockwardine Wood Arts College —£230,923, Idsall School in Shifnal — £157,182 and Burton Borough, Newport — £140,134.

Read more: http://www.shropshirestar.com/education/2011/02/25/secondary-schools-in-shropshire-spend-2-2m-on-supply-teachers/#ixzz1F5QwzeKdSupply teachers - another vulnerable group like housing benefit claimants- another target in the tories drive to privatise public services.

3. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I get the impression that the Taxpayers' Alliance are systematically mailing localised press releases to regional papers, based on the schools spending data recently made public by the DCSF.
    Remember today's newspaper is tomorrow's recycling. It will soon pass.

4. "Death" to all spouters of lies and myths!
    What's the staff bill for the HUGE armies of bureacrats, admin staff, cover supervisors, teaching assistants, senior management staff, assistant heads (+++), deputy heads(+++), governors' expenses and other claims etc etc etc.
    Qualified, experienced and registered supply teachers give tremendous added value to many classrooms and educational establishment.
    So let's have less of the dimwit, prejudiced mythology about supply teachers. In fact learning and teaching outcomes are actually OPTIMISED by supply teachers...no messing about, no time wasting, just complete focus on learning and teaching outcomes/objectives!

5. Coming next week - The Taxpayers' Crusade Against Teachers Getting Ill (and if I was bored enough I'm sure I could tweak that to some amusing acronym - but I'm not).
    How dare those teachers we own the souls of get flu! Don't they know they get SIX WHOLE WEEKS in the summer to do that illness thing?! Means we have to employ a SUPPLY TEACHER!
    Followed by The Taxpayers' Crusade Against Pointless Training Days... although I kind of have some sympathy with that one!

6. What about the "taxpayers' action against malign and corrupt MPs and other parasites of society that need to self-exterminate"?Or the supply teachers who pay unnecessary tax ?STUT...