1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Death of Parent during School Holidays

Discussion in 'Personal' started by nad21, Jul 11, 2019.

1. nad21

nad21 New commenter

Looking for advice please.

I am aware that there is an entitlement of days for the death of a parent and also an entitlement of days to attend a funeral but is it possible to claim for these days even if the term has finished?

2. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

Do you mean claim them as days off in lieu because the funeral was during the holidays?

3. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Am I right in interpreting this as follows?

Your parent died and the funeral was held during the school holidays at a time when you were able to attend.

However, you want to 'claim' by asking for paid days off work during a subsequent school term?

Please clarify.

strawbs, bevdex and Jesmond12 like this.
  4. catmother

catmother Star commenter

1st post since joining in 2006 and what a dilemma!

harsh-but-fair and nomad like this.
  5. frustum

frustum Star commenter

"to attend a funeral" - ie in order to be able to go

6. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

The question as you've phrased it doesn't arise because there is no such entitlement. Not unless your school has a formal policy stating that you have an entitlement, most don't. It's usually at the head's discretion. I can't imagine any head exercising their discretion in the situation you describe. You could ask and find out.

border_walker likes this.
  7. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

No.
    The time is, if at all,allowed expressly to enable you to cope with the immediate aftermath of losing a loved person. The time is not allowed expressly in order to relieve you from work.
    The question you have is associated with relieving yourself from work.
    You haven't asked us for tips on how to manage everything if a parent dies during the holidays, so therefore that is not your primary concern behind your question.

We had a similar question once recently, in that somebody wanted to move house after the end of term, so enquired if they might be able to take their "day off for house move" in advance during term time. The theory is equally "no".

In practice though, who knows?
    I've posted like a cold robot on this, because that is how your school will process any absence request.
    The reality is that I fully understand it takes way way more than a few days to cope with losing a loved one. But it's not me considering your application for time away, is it?

8. meggyd

meggyd Senior commenter

When my dad died the deputy who organised cover said that I did not take a great deal of time off and I could have some odd days in the future if I needed for things like the solicitor or headstone ceremony. I did not take any extra days but there are some things that might be hard to arrange immediately after breavement and which most people do in office hours, all the arrangements for selling and clearing out a house for example, especially if this involves travelling.

strawbs, afterdark and knitone like this.
  9. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

True, Maggie and I like the sound of your deputy, who comes over as humane and kind.
    The OP is not asking for that, but seems to want a couple of extra days of holiday. I may have misunderstood, but that is how it reads to me.

10. nomad

nomad Star commenter

And to me, but I wanted clarification before erupting like Vesuvius on a bad Monday morning.

If it is the case then it demonstrates a callous disregard for the ethics of requesting compassionate leave and those colleagues who really need it.

11. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

My daughter was born during holidays. I didn't get any paternity leave.

12. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

If that is the case I couldn't agree more.

nomad likes this.
  13. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Lead commenter

There is often a lot to do following the death of a parent - sorting out their belongings and estate. I would ask school citing these things. If you don't ask you don't get. Plus you used your holiday for bereavement.

14. nomad

nomad Star commenter

[​IMG]

Laphroig and ilovesooty like this.
  15. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

I might have edited this RONG but if your parent had the good grace to depart during the hols, then lucky old you. Entitled to nothing extra. Sorry.

16. Lazycat

Lazycat Established commenter

I don’t think you’ll be entitled to any time off. My Dad died when I was off sick with an unrelated problem. We dealt with his estate and funeral whilst I was off sick (I kept school informed when I had to travel to deal with all of this). It didn’t occur to me to ask for time in lieu when I returned to work.

17. afterdark

afterdark Lead commenter

Poor choice of words. Rather callous.

ROSIEGIRL likes this.
  18. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

Over a period of about ten years, I had four close relatives die in school holidays. It became a family ‘joke’ that my relatives knew they had to die in the holidays. Yes, of course it ruined those holidays and took up all of my time but at least I was free to spend the time on sorting things with family. It wouldn’t have occurred to me to think I was owed time off in lieu. It’s just life (or death). Compassionate leave and Time Off policies are there because our contracts don’t give us any choice over working and holiday time. Since that period I’ve had two days of compassionate leave for other family funerals.

19. frustum

frustum Star commenter

You could have done. Paternity leave doesn't have to be taken immediately after the birth - it can be taken any time within the first 56 days. Some dads opt to wait until the mother-in-law has gone home, for instance, or until the child is out of the prem baby ward. (Sadly there is, as yet, no arrangement for those whose prem babies don't make it out of hospital until later, although sometimes employers are generous about this.)

ilovesooty and nomad like this.
  20. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

True.
    Also, paternity pay is £140-98 or 90% of your average weekly pay, whichever is the lower. I doubt that many couples, at a time of extra expense with a newborn, can afford for the father to manage on £140-98 per week. At least teacher fathers can have the time unofficially during school holidays and stay on their usual pay.