1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Death in Service benefit - suicide

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by sciencehead, May 6, 2007.

1. Does anyone know if the TPS death in service benefit is payable to the family of someone who has commited suicide?

2. Does anyone know if the TPS death in service benefit is payable to the family of someone who has commited suicide?

3. that's a really worrying question sciencehead - want to say any more?

4. I doubt it - though I don't know. Hope this is not something you are considering personally.

I always vowed that if I felt suicidal I'd go to India and work with 'the little children of the poor'. Though I guess suicidal feelings are complex and jetting off for a selfless life in India probably isn't what some suicidal people want to do.

I do know though, that people who try to kill themselves often change their minds and that means that a percentage of those who change their minds and don't want to die - actually do die and I find that so sad.

There are those that have got horrible illnesses and are probably forced to see things through to the end because of things like insurance. I dunno. Keep posting and I hope you are ok.

5. I would imagine that the death in service benefit is an insurance scheme that runs alongside your pension and is underwritten, so I am pretty sure that it won't pay out.

Have you spoken to anyone about the way you are feeling? It can be very tough when you are on your own.

6. If it did, would that truly compensate in any way for the loss of their loved one and the constant self-questioning and guilt feeling they would be left with?

There are always other options, they may not be obvious, but they are there and available to us all, it may be that help is needed to see what they are.

Samaritans: 08457 90 90 90

7. janemk

janemk New commenter

I didn't read it as though OP was thinking about doing it - I read it as though they were family of someone who has, or enquiring on behalf of a family. Hope I'm right...

I have never heard of any death benefit service/insurance paying out for suicide cases though, for the simple reason that people might be tempted to do it if they could get money for their family.

My dad committed suicide (progressive illness) and we got nothing.

8. I'm really sorry that I wrote the post in a manner that made people think I was contemplating suicide myself. This really is not the case, I was enquiring on behalf of the family of a colleague of a friend.
    Again - really sorry to have given that impression, but nice to see how people responded in a supportive manner.

9. i just was not sure what the nature of the situation was - if it was for a friend I would have thought the OP would have indicated that.

however - I have searched the leaflets on the tps website and can see no mention of cause of death at all - and it is not ' insurance' - it is a pension scheme and I am not at all sure that the 2 can be compared.
    you would think if there was an exclusion then that would be indicated somewhere on the website - but I guess the only way to be sure is to contact the TPS.
    http://www.teacherspensions.co.uk/contact/contactus.htm

but IF the OP is asking becuase they are thinking about suicide, and who knows, maybe even think it would solve some financial disaster or at least provide for family - then please - speak to someone - there is always another solution - even if you do not believe that please take it on trust that it is true.

My father committed suicide, and it was, and is still, the thing that has caused me most pain in my life, and though I can understand now why he did what he did, the pain of it, the questions and feelings it leaves - they will be with me for the rest of my life. Don't think it will solve anything - and please - talk to someone - go and see GP andbe 100% honest, it's a bank holiday but there must be an out of hours GP service ,ring teachersupport who can put you in touch with other people, ring a trusted friend and ask for help - even help to get help can be needed I know - but do not allow yourself to believe the lie that this is a solution. I have been there myself and my blood runs cold now when I think of what I could have done had I not reached out for help.

please - would you clarify the situation becuase I am concerned.

10. janemk

janemk New commenter

see above post, CC! you missed it while writing!

11. insurance never pays out on suicide.
    pension i think still pay

12. janemk

janemk New commenter

Actually think you're right, though dad's pension was so small by that point that amounted to very little. You need to contact them, OP. They might be ok.

13. well I am relieved - and sorry for their loss - and thanks for explaining. There is loads of info on the site, loads of leaflets to download, forms etc etc - and as I say there is no mention of any exclusions so I would be hopeful that they will receive the pension and survivors benefits. sad though.