1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Death and religion

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Teslasmate, Mar 22, 2019.

1. Teslasmate

Teslasmate Occasional commenter

Yes it is.
    Although I agree I am angry too. Because this is my daughter they are trying to recruit.

2. Teslasmate

Christians don't own the schools. Or pay for anything. Or do anything of any use. They merely retain the right (historical) to use state schools as recruiting stations. I'm not getting anything from christians.

3. Teslasmate

And with that display of rampant bigotry you just lost the argument and any right to expect respect for your opinions. I am not in the least intolerant of christian beliefs. Anyone can believe whatever gibberish they like. And I am free to think it ludicrous. I would just like them to not push the gibberish onto a child.

4. Teslasmate

You put it much more eloquently than me. So much this.

5. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Why can't we just wait until someone finds out which religion was the right one after all, and then teach that one?

Until then, all bets are off.

6. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

So electricity can affect the soul? A ball pein hammer can affect the soul?

7. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Why do people worry that other people have been brainwashed when they themselves clearly haven't been. You weren't, I wasn't, most people aren't. The people who do believe as adults have come to that conclusion by themselves, who are you to say they are wrong?

8. Mathsteach2

Mathsteach2 Established commenter

@Teslasmate. We must all have a fantasy life, who knows where the unbridled imagination will lead? Some good in this life, surely? With Christians I discuss strongly the need for good works in this life, and not to worry about the after-life.
    You are correct about the time wasted pursuing a religion, my wife and myself do not go to church for instance. We spend some time in private devotion, but is that more time wasted than playing computer games or watching a science fiction film?
    Jogging for physical exercise or using an exercise machine is time-wasting, far better to dig the garden etc.
    The idea that there is nothing for me after death does not disturb me at all, I just cannot believe and accept that all this came about by chance.

Vince_Ulam likes this.
  9. Mathsteach2

My sentence "Are we more than just atoms and molecules" should have carried a question mark.
    A hammer and electricity can destroy our life in this world but not in the next, I believe. But how far do we really understand a hammer, and even less electricity? As a young teenager I wanted to become a nuclear physicist, perhaps ending up working with CERN with the Large Hadron Collider. Are we getting any nearer to understanding the only reality we know? I think not.

10. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Why do you feel there is a 'right' religion?

Are they not all human constructs?

11. nomad

nomad Star commenter

If whacked through the cranium, possibly.

Teslasmate and racroesus like this.
  12. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I didn't say that they can destroy life but asked if they can change the soul. They can cause brain damage and change how you manifest yourself but I doubt they can interact with the soul to change us.

13. Mathsteach2

@racroesus. I try to draw a distinction between soul and spirit. My spirit will return to God in the spiritual or supernatural world. The form it takes will be God's business.
    I believe I have a soul which will last for eternity and wiĺl be representative of me, but the idea is controversial. Modern theologians question its existence and apparently there is no mention of an eternal soul in the OT.

14. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

I haven't read the whole thread but the appearance of a dead animal in our street led to loads of questions from 3 & 5 yr olds that were responded to with straightforward info re age, mortality, injury and disease.
    Didn't prevent "You are old. Will you die soon" or "If I get a bad disease wil I die" - type stuff.
    They need to know. But not more than they can cope with.
    As to "is there a heaven?" Mine have never been fed it so never asked. If they do, I'll say it's a nice story to make people feel better when they miss someone they loved who died.

15. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Nor can I. The sheer complexity of the most basic cell baffles me. I cannot buy coincidence of neighbourhood molecules. But even less can I go for "intelligent" (I thought we were talking omniscient?) design.

Just waiting for a better explanation to turn up.

16. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

if it's a CofE school, it will push christianity. Put your daughter in a non-faith school.

Of course, many non-christian parents make compromises with their consciences because of performance tables.

monicabilongame and Alice K like this.
  17. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

OP: It's not fair, M'Lud! I put my kid in a Church school and they talked to her about Jesus.

Judge: That's what Church schools do. Didn't you read the bumf?

OP: Yes, but I didn't believe they meant it.

Judge: Caveat emptor. Case dismissed.

18. Teslasmate

This is wrong on every level. There are far more religious than non religious people. The people that managed to avoid succumbing to the virus did so despite the culture they lived in. The vast majority of believers got their beliefs drummed into them in childhood. Try telling someone who has the ability to reason about the fairytale guff, they'll laugh at you.
    Example, you should accept the deep and profound wisdom of the flying spaghetti monster (may you be touched by his noodly appendage). Worship his carb rich majesty. No? Why not?

19. Teslasmate

Well watching a sci fi film is harmless and entertaining. Yes, treadmills make little sense to me too. But just because you want to believe there is a plan, doesn't mean there is.
    I also find it depressing how small the religious mindset is. The christian lives in a tiny world under the microscope of a psychopath. The real universe is much bigger, more complex and engaging than any religious fantasy.

20. Teslasmate

One has. It's called evolution. Not only is it fascinating, it's known about because of evidence.