1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Death and religion

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Teslasmate, Mar 22, 2019.

1. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

So much wrong in this , but there's no point in trying to debate it, even if I had the time.

sparklesparkle, InkyP and Vince_Ulam like this.
  2. adam_nichol

adam_nichol Occasional commenter

OP's child is at a CofE school, mine is not; but it is interesting to see the extent to which people get very defensive about any desire for those schools to dial down god or be mindful of the casual indoctrination. The demand is that we must compromise as parents or should allow ourselves to be driven from the area; because the area is for the 'normals' who are ok with all this and not for people like me. Acting on principle doesn't mean I have to reduce my son's educational opportunities or overturn his whole life, when it can also mean taking the school to task on what it is implicitly teaching.
    Why so defensive? I haven't asked the school to burn all its crucifixes. I'm asking them not to espouse the mantra that god is real. I'm not asking them to stop educating children (including my own) about world beliefs, I'm asking them not to frame it in us v them, when my family don't fit into the 'us' category.

monicabilongame likes this.
  3. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Not hung up at all. I could have mentioned other groups, such as Bretheren. And it's not an anecdote, but on observation based on 32 years of teaching....

4. adam_nichol

If that's aimed at me, and many of my posts would support it, I will simply say: intolerance? No, quite the opposite, I'm asking for tolerance of my beliefs. Closed mindedness? No, again quite the opposite; a lengthy study into the spread of faith generally. Anger? Yes, by the bucket full, mostly inspired by the former 2.

If not aimed at me. Egotism? Err, apparently.

5. Geoff Thomas

Geoff Thomas Star commenter

They might think / have thought that.

But fortunately, it is only for the next few decades.

6. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

Oh ***

Ivartheboneless likes this.
  7. sparklesparkle

sparklesparkle Established commenter

I'm not in the least defensive. I'm not a practising Christian and I have no skin in this game.

I chose not to bring this up and waited for one of the atheists to do so.

You have a supposedly principled stance as an atheist. You've chosen to send your child to a "good school" even though it's a Christian school. Your rant about atheism is hypocritical to say the least. You have chosen to ignore your own beliefs because you can get something out of Christians.

Alice K likes this.
  8. sparklesparkle

You're asking for tolerance of your beliefs in an environment which overtly promotes opposing beliefs? It isn't as if they hide it. "C of E School" is self-explanatory, isn't it? Wouldn't any parent know what they are getting into when they choose a Christian school for their child?

Egotism doesn't begin to describe this situation. Why should they tolerate your beliefs when you are so vehemently against theirs? If you are so intolerant of Christianity why should a Christian school tolerate your atheism?

Alice K likes this.
  9. adam_nichol

My son's school is not CofE or a religious school. It's just the local school (there are 2 local religious schools for the religiously minded). OP's school is, and I get that the couple of times I referenced that difference probs went under the radar.
    The drip-feed of christianity is not because of some religious ethos of the school, but because the school is in England and that's what schools in England do (unless specifically of another religion).

It's one of the lessons that I got thru experience of living abroad for my teenage years - what life is like when you're not in the majority / 'normal'. I deliberately didn't send my son to a religious school, yet it gets tagged on anyway, simply because it pervades the surrounding environment to such a large extent that most people simply don't notice it. There are many groups whose reticence seems so strange to most people; but it's because most people will never get to see what it's like to be on the other side of something so overwhelmingly huge. It's like casual everyday racism, casual everyday sexism, casual everyday invasion into thought and conscience. People look at you strange when you point it out because they only see the glaring example (or sometimes they get a sense of the collective power of a million small things).

That sounds a bit whingey, but I'm not seeking sympathy. Unlike race or sex, I could pretend. I could calm the f..k down (and often do, I have a bit too much time on my hands right now). But I live in a world where many rules and services are set by a god I don't believe in, and I am required to follow those rules anyway.

10. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

They are still at it, called the Roman Catholic Church (clue in the name).

11. Mathsteach2

Mathsteach2 Established commenter

My, my, my, Teslasmate, you have had a good rant, along with a few others. Well, this is the place to do it. I might even describe it as proselytising, but I won't. Jesus says turn the other cheek, even to the point of death is implied.
    If I had been a violent anarchist to the point of anger you appear to be expressing, I know what I would have done.
    Anyway, there's lots of advice here, I wish you well. BTW my rants were never proselytising, I hope.

12. Ivartheboneless

No actually. Nobody is proselytising. It is just the usual behaviour. I.e. a person posts something, this is then taken out of context or misinterpreted by the reader who then cuts it up into the bite size chunks they want to have a go at, and pastes it, then adds their own spin on it, either totally at odds with the original meaning, or firmly attached to their own well-informed, duly-considered opinion.

And what is this behaviour called ... why its called "trolling"!

13. sparklesparkle

Nonsense.

14. Mathsteach2

Mathsteach2 Established commenter

I also meant to respond to my phrase "when we die". I should have said "after we die".
    We all know what happens to our bodies when we die, the atoms and molecules continue to exist and go back to dust. That's elementary science.
    However, what about ourselves? Are we more than just atoms and molecules, which brings in the thread in the RE Forum entitled "RE - What's the point?". This young lady is quite something, to ask such a question at her age. I do not remember seriously asking what happens after we die until old age, except to believe in ghosts, and not wanting to die.

15. Ivartheboneless

Look up a definition of trolling, I did, you'll find I am correct.

16. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Good thing you taught Biology.

17. Ivartheboneless

Oh look another cryptic comment from he-who-can't-be-understood. (What are you on about man?)

18. sparklesparkle

How would you define a discussion?

Is it agreeing, liking, saying "you go girl" and posting emoticons? Do you reach for the Report Abuse button if anyone disagrees or uses those horrible things called facts?

Are you familiar with how discussions work outside of facetwitter?

Vince_Ulam likes this.
  19. Teslasmate

Teslasmate Occasional commenter

Yes, we are atoms. 'I' am a collection of neurons soaked in neurotransmitters and firing electrochemical reactions. When the process stops, I stop. That's the truth. We are physical, and that is all.. It may or may not be pleasant from your point of view (I don't have a problem with it personally), but the universe doesn't care about us.
    But to spend so much of that life on a fantasy is just tragic.

20. Teslasmate

Teslasmate Occasional commenter

Exactly. I will not put up or shut up. Christianity has an insidious influence in this country. Thankfully it's fading. But right now it feels more dangerous because of that. Failing organisations frequently behave in more extreme ways to hold on.