1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

DearTheo - Returning to work after maternity leave

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by blondie2006, Apr 12, 2011.

1. I was going to return to work after my maternity leave after Easter but was turned down as my school was unable to find a job share partner for me. (I had asked for 0.6) I asked what would be available if I waited until September to return (which would mean my full 9 months off) and was told that full time only or a temporary contract for 2 terms of 0.2. I am more than happy to accept this instead of returning full time but I don't know where I stand with having to pay back my maternity money after that? Will I still have to repay it?

2. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

I'd be getting union advice about what you've been offered. If you're willing to wait until September, it's likely that they would be able to find a job-share partner for you. And while you might be happy to accept a 0.2 contract, why does it have to be temporary?
    Did you make a formal flexible working request? If not, bung one in now, asking for reduced hours when you return in September. If that's granted, it has to be on a permanent basis.
    If you did, it's more difficult, as presumably you've had the meeting where they discussed why they couldn't meet your request, and it would have been at that point that you might have been able to persuade them that waiting until September could mean them getting nearer to meeting your request. As it is, they seem to have left you with a point-blank "no", as a temporary contract is not something that comes under the flexible working rules.