1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

DearTheo: not able to visit school.....

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by susiec08, Jun 4, 2011.

1. On all my previous applications I have been able to visit the school previously and therefore been able to mention that in my letter of application (I was impressed...etc etc).
    However, I am applying for a school I will not be able to visit due to time constraints. Their website is very poor although I have been able to get some information from their school profile/ofsted report.
    When writing my letter how should I make reference to the fact I have not been able to visit but would like to undergo a tour of the school if invited for interview????
    Thanks
    Sue

2. I always ring and speak to someone and get their name and ask a few questions. Then in your application letter you can say, even though I was unable to visit because of x, y or z, I spoke to Mr/Mrs/Ms XXXXXX on the phone and she gave me some very useful information about the school.
    I have recently had 4 interviews of these 4 interviews I only visited one of the schools and couldn't find websites of two of them. I read their OFSTED reports (you can also mention this and I mentioned the OFSTED report of one during my interview as their inspection was only last September and one of their development points was community cohesion so had highlighted this area of my practice on my application form and brough it up at the interview). That said, of these interviews I only ended up speaking to one that I didn;t visit on the phone (that said, I did get the jobs there). The other applicants had been to the school before but two had done supply or placements there and the fourth came for the visit.
    The right school for me recognised the fact that I was up to my eyeballs in SATs with my year 6 class and because of a fairly short timescale of advertising understood why I hadn't been to visit.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Some schools - I HATE it! - actually discriminate against applicants who haven't been able to visit.
    So, yes, do mention it in your application, say that your circumastances didn't allow you to visit, but you are looking forward to the opportunity of seeing the school should you be called for interview. Don't specifically ask for a visit - that might annoy them if they feel you should have come when they were organising it.
    And you might read these threads
    Phoning a school instead of visiting
    Dear Theo- visiting schools before application / what to ask on the phone
    Dear Theo - School Visits
    Read the clickables inside the Welcome thread - posters have got jobs through following the advice there.
    The benefit of an executive summary
    Dear Theo: Executive summary works- I have an interview
    taking Theo's Advice
    Good luck
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    New <u>Job Seminars</u> on Sunday 26 June.
    www.tesweekendworkshop29.eventbrite.com
    Probably more in the early autumn ready for the next lot of job ads to come out. Keep an eye out for the dates!

A new <u>Moving into Headship and SLT</u> seminar is on 18 June.
    See the full programme www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.Look forward to seeing you!

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Just read Bobby's advice above. Some good ideas there, but . . .
    But be careful about mentioning the Ofsted.
    If it is more than 2 years ago it is pretty irrelevant anyway. And if there is anything negative in it, it is not something to remind them of. Unless you are appolying for a Leadership post and going to sort it out for them! They may be sensitive about the report, so proceed with care here.
    Good luck
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    New <u>Job Seminars</u> on Sunday 26 June.
    Probably more in the early autumn ready for the next lot of job ads to come out. Keep an eye out for the dates!

A new <u>Moving into Headship and SLT</u> seminar is on 18 June.
    See the full programme www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.Look forward to seeing you!