1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Zoo activities

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by gtemma1980, Jan 27, 2008.

1. Hi
    Got an observation on thurs and need some good ideas for a writing activity for my higher achievers. They are able to write sentences and would like to push them a little to show i am challenging!! Thanks

2. Hi
    Got an observation on thurs and need some good ideas for a writing activity for my higher achievers. They are able to write sentences and would like to push them a little to show i am challenging!! Thanks

3. If you do a search in resource bank there are lots of literacy ideas e.g making your own life the flap book. I used the same ideas in the Autumn term.

Hope this helps

4. Ibuzzybea

Ibuzzybea Occasional commenter

5. Dear Zoo Activity Plan

Learning Focus: ELGs CLL 2, 4, 5, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20
    ? Enjoy listening to written language, and readily turn to it in their play.
    ? Listen with enjoyment and respond to stories.
    ? Extend vocabulary and explore the meanings
    ? Use emergent writing with meaning
    ? Explore and experiment with words and texts
    ? Learn the print carries meaning and in English, is read from left to right and top to bottom.
    ? Show an understanding of sequence of events in a story.

Activities
    DAY 1 Registration 9.15am
    ? Shared Reading: Look at front cover ? talk about the animal in the packing case and the kind of animals you find in a zoo. Read the blurb and talk about the kind of animal they would like for a pet. Read Dear Zoo. Shared Reading: Read Dear Zoo, encouraging the children to join in where they can. Explain to children that they we are going to make our own ?Lift the Flap Dear Zoo? book and need them to draw an animal picture. Soft Toys and boxes will be available as an Imaginative Play Activity, allow children to explore the area freely.
    DAY 1 Carpet Time 11.00am
    ? Shared Writing: Lift each flap and write the name of each animal on the whiteboard and draw a picture. Emphasise the initial letter sound and the phonic strategies you use as you write the words. Add more animals to the collection.
    DAY 2 Registration 9.15am
    ? Shared Reading: Read Dear Zoo so that the children are very familiar with the patterned structure of the text. Explain to children that they we are going to make our own Dear Zoo book and need them to draw an animal picture.
    DAY 2 Carpet Time 11.00am
    ? Shared Writing: Identify the reason for each animal sent back e.g. tall, fierce. Write each on the whiteboard.
    ? DAY 5 Read Preschools own lift the flap book made in the week.
    Differentiation by response

Resources

Text: Dear Zoo
    Author / Illustrator: Rod Campbell
    Puffin Books ISBN: 0-333-90371-4
    Additional Resources - Animal pictures & flaps
    Large Cuddly Toys, Boxes, Shredded Paper (animal bedding)
    Play food

Grouping
    of children
    Whole Group
    Shared Reading and Writing

Assessment Opportunities
    Adult to observe: Do the children join in with the story. Are they able to make relevant comments and recall the main characters in the story? Are they able to interpret illustrations and predict what could happen next? Can they take part in the discussion and present their own ideas, speak to the group, maintain the theme and speak with increasing confidence and fluency.

Carla x

6. Hi
    thank you so much your all very helpful! x

7. Hello
    I am a student teacher and been asked to complete writing lessons over three days based on this book, showing differentiation ect, Does nay one have any ideas or plans i could look at please
    Thankyou x