1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Tom

Discussion in 'Welcome lounge and forum help' started by wendie23, Sep 30, 2015.

1. wendie23

wendie23 New commenter

Hi Tom
    I have been teaching now for 18years in the same school. over the years the school has developed a reputation for being especially goo with SEN children as their progress has always been good. However, in the last 3 years, the behaviour of some children is quite unlike any that I have seen/dealt with.
    I am in year 3 and there is a young lad who has been diagnosed with dyspraxia - although he is definitely somewhere on the spectrum for autism. He has 1 -to -1 but he is a constant disruption in the classroom. He constantly blows raspberries and repeats everything you say (i mean everything!). He does very little work and what is done is just illegible and mostly about food! Suffice to say after only 4 weeks of having him in my class I am starting to doubt my sanity. He has been isolated from the class for short spells when his behaviour is too erractic.
    my query is this - how do we get him to behave in class? we are giving him small targets to stick to in class - 10 minutes of concentration per lesson. then a small reward if he is able to complete it. We have tried to get mom on board but she is unable to control him and he is violent towards her and ignores her.
    Hoping you may be able to come up with some ideas - I am open to suggestions!!

Wendie

2. marlin

marlin Star commenter