1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Tom

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by ML01, Jun 24, 2012.

1. I am a graduate teacher however I have come to teaching after having worked as a graphic designer and art lecturer at University. Work is good but I am feeling usupported at times and left to my own devices, there is also no head of dept as it is a small highschool. I assume that the principal thinks that because I am in my forties that i should be able to handle situations on my own without a mentor. I am finding the constant discipline tiring at times. I made a stupid joke about how I got a scratch on my eyebrow. (I actually ran into a door, so I felt a bit foolish) and told a group of students when asked that my husband beat me up,I said it laughingly. I quickly told them it was a joke and that he hadn't but it was a silly thing to say. All I can say in my defence is that it was a long week and I was tired of talking to students and thought id say a silly thing. How do I cope with teaching and discipliie issues when other teachers do not provide much in the ay of support or advice.

2. Dear Tom please help I feel like I have done the most stupid thing as a new teacher.

3. The children have probably forgotten about it by now.
    If any of them do bring the matter up again, act surprised that they believed you, and either tell them the truth or: make up another, more outlandish story (e.g. telling them you are a part time club bouncer...). Leave them confused as to the real reason for just a short time, then tell them the truth, so that you are not seen as someone who is deceitful, but someone who likes a joke.

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I'm not Tom, but flip me I wish that kind of daft remark was the stupidest thing I'd done as a new teacher!

Actually I wish it was the stupidest thing I'd done this year as a not at all new teacher!

Stop worrying...it is the end of the year and you, like us all, are knackered. Everything seems worse than it is.

5. Thank you all for your calm and considered replies. Your words reassured me and the advice is very much appreciated. Thank you also to Tom for understanding and giving me a way to ask for the support I need. I felt that there was no way to approach the matter of support and i had become isolated as a result. I will ask a teacher whose teaching style and personality I feel comfortable with to give me some guidance and strategies