1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Tom

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by greengirl57, Feb 8, 2012.

1. greengirl57

greengirl57 New commenter

I have had a supply teaching role from hell!! Having never been to this school before, I expected pupils to behave unruly and 'test' my endurance, but it was worse than I expected. Mostly white working class pupils from an affluent and a poorer section of the borough with only a few number of ethnic minority Asian/Afro Caribbean. I am Asian. This particular Yr.10 class had pupils sitting in friendship groups, chatting, laughing, using mobile phones,,throwing paper planes,walking around like I was not there, one boy using inappropriate language to me when I asked him to take his seat, for which I marked him straight off for a detention,.One other bigger lad,possibly with hormonal issues, had the girl next to him leaning over to him, while they intermittently hugged each other and acted friskily. Other pupils were not able to concentrate and kept looking over at them. Warnings did not deter them. I felt helpless as they seemed to have no fear about threatened detentions or calling Referral to sort them out! I was out of my depth and in the two years I have been supply teaching have never encountered such behaviour. I found much to my regret that calling Referral only made matters worse, as the school expected me to be able to handle the behaviour!! As a new teacher, I found this school unhelpful and unsupportive. Can you give me some solid advice on how I can resolve similar behaviour issues in the future so as to please both the school and the agency which has placed me there?[​IMG]

2. greengirl57

greengirl57 New commenter

I have had a supply teaching role from hell!! Having never been to this school before, I expected pupils to behave unruly and 'test' my endurance, but it was worse than I expected. Mostly white working class pupils from an affluent and a poorer section of the borough with only a few number of ethnic minority Asian/Afro Caribbean. I am Asian. This particular Yr.10 class had pupils sitting in friendship groups, chatting, laughing, using mobile phones,,throwing paper planes,walking around like I was not there, one boy using inappropriate language to me when I asked him to take his seat, for which I marked him straight off for a detention,.One other bigger lad,possibly with hormonal issues, had the girl next to him leaning over to him, while they intermittently hugged each other and acted friskily. Other pupils were not able to concentrate and kept looking over at them. Warnings did not deter them. I felt helpless as they seemed to have no fear about threatened detentions or calling Referral to sort them out! I was out of my depth and in the two years I have been supply teaching have never encountered such behaviour. I found much to my regret that calling Referral only made matters worse, as the school expected me to be able to handle the behaviour!! As a new teacher, I found this school unhelpful and unsupportive. Can you give me some solid advice on how I can resolve similar behaviour issues in the future so as to please both the school and the agency which has placed me there?[​IMG]