1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Tom

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by lonneymiss, Feb 7, 2011.

1. lonneymiss

lonneymiss New commenter

Hi,
    I wondered if you could help me? I am a fairly new teacher (in my second year) and am having a real confidence crisis. I haven't had an easy start to my teaching career (both my parents have died in the last 18 months) but my job has kept me going and I do enjoy teaching.
    However, I work 2 days in one school with class of 22 year 1's. They are a noisy bunch who will often shout out and chatter during carpet time. I have tried positive praise for those who are sat nicely, name on the smiley face etc but this is to no avail. There is constantly something kicking off with people moving around the carpet or upsetting another. I try to limit carpet time to combat this and to make sure my teacher input is pacey but there behaviour is still poor.
    I also have a child in particular who is .. well a law unto himself. He frequently shouts out constantly. If he does not get his own way he screams like a toddler and this has been known to last up to half an hour. He is oblivious to sanctions and is not bothered about his parents being spoken to, missing play time or golden time or being sent to HT or other teachers. He has an individual reward chart but again it doesn't seem to be doing much good.
    I am just not sure what to do next. Any tips would be gratefully received!
    Thank you

2. lonneymiss

lonneymiss New commenter

Hi,
    I wondered if you could help me? I am a fairly new teacher (in my second year) and am having a real confidence crisis. I haven't had an easy start to my teaching career (both my parents have died in the last 18 months) but my job has kept me going and I do enjoy teaching.
    However, I work 2 days in one school with class of 22 year 1's. They are a noisy bunch who will often shout out and chatter during carpet time. I have tried positive praise for those who are sat nicely, name on the smiley face etc but this is to no avail. There is constantly something kicking off with people moving around the carpet or upsetting another. I try to limit carpet time to combat this and to make sure my teacher input is pacey but there behaviour is still poor.
    I also have a child in particular who is .. well a law unto himself. He frequently shouts out constantly. If he does not get his own way he screams like a toddler and this has been known to last up to half an hour. He is oblivious to sanctions and is not bothered about his parents being spoken to, missing play time or golden time or being sent to HT or other teachers. He has an individual reward chart but again it doesn't seem to be doing much good.
    I am just not sure what to do next. Any tips would be gratefully received!
    Thank you