1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Tom

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by GreyFalcon, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Hi Tom
    I am working as a Cover Supervisor and finding it really difficult to manage behaviour especially noise levels (i have been in the role since November and really feel as though i should be winning the battle). Recently swearing is a big issue.
    Tha school uses a 3 warnings system - but to be honest that would result in most of the class in detention.
    As a result at the moment i feel like im losing and really need some advice to recharge my batteries. The School has put me foward for a behaviour management course without me knowing about it, so it must be an issue.
    I am in need of serious help = and the inconsistency of the role does not help.
    Thanks
    Grey

2. Hi Tom
    I am working as a Cover Supervisor and finding it really difficult to manage behaviour especially noise levels (i have been in the role since November and really feel as though i should be winning the battle). Recently swearing is a big issue.
    Tha school uses a 3 warnings system - but to be honest that would result in most of the class in detention.
    As a result at the moment i feel like im losing and really need some advice to recharge my batteries. The School has put me foward for a behaviour management course without me knowing about it, so it must be an issue.
    I am in need of serious help = and the inconsistency of the role does not help.
    Thanks
    Grey

3. Tom_Bennett

Tom_Bennett Occasional commenter

Sorry for the delay in replying.
    As a cover supervisor you are immediately at a structural disadvantage (the kids see you as inferior to the status of a teacher) plus you have the added practical difficulty in not having time to develop a relationship with the class. You have, I must say, a very difficult role to fulfil.
    Of course there are stil startegies you can employ to avoid going insane.
    1. How much do you attempt to deliver the lesson rather than merely provide it? I say this because you haven't been trained to teach, so there should be no expectation upon you to do so- merely to be the conduit of work set, and an adult presence to allow this to be done. So please don't tie yourself in knots trying to be something that your role wasn't designed for.
    2. Of course you should still demand manners and effort, and you have as much right to civility and a calm work environment as any other adult. If you are based in a school on along term basis, you should be focusing on learning names of as many of the kids as possible, from registers, computer files, etc. This is made easier by the fact that the hard core of students whose names you need to know will be around 10% of the class, so work on them. Then, if they treat your classroom with disdain, make sure you...
    3. Take a note of disruption and communicate it to the class teacher, who, if they have any self respect, will carry out a detention. Of course you can also set detentions too, as long as you make sure that you attend. I would advise working on the worst behaved at first, to avoid being swamped by the mob of miscreants.
    4. If they don't follow up, ask why. As a CS, when you work in a lesson you are effectively part of that department for the duration of your tenure; so you should expect the support of the HOD. If you have no joy, escalate up the food chain to the Head of Year, etc.
    5. You;re quite right- warnings etc can become a noose, not an aid to running a room. If the behaviour is bad on a wide scale, then park the warnings, and simply issue detentions at the end to those who behaved badly- even if it's lots of them.
    Good luck, in what must be a very hard role.
    http://behaviourguru.blogspot.com/

4. Tom_Bennett

Tom_Bennett Occasional commenter

Aaargh! Sent first draft by accident (or axident, as I would have initially typed). Typo-feast. Shield your eyes :(