1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Tom - What to do now?

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by nikhay9, Nov 4, 2011.

1. Dear Tom,

I have trouble with low-level disruption in my some of my classes, though this is getting a lot better now. However...

I have a year 8 group of 26 students. Of those 26, 8 are flagged as having behaviour issues. Even though only 8 are flagged, they are known in the school as being "the bad bunch", and I have been having trouble with behaviour from day one. I teach them on a Monday and a Friday (and some last thing on a Friday for Drama*) and I really struggle getting them to listen. When I ask someone to move in the class, they argue and end up being sent outside. Despite the fact that I use the behaviour pyramid that the school has in place, I can't get any work done. I've asked for support from the school and have received a wealth of advice, but nothing seems to work. Surely I can't pass my NQT with trouble like this?

Even though other teachers do have problems with this class, it seems that I am the only one who can't get anything done at all. I'm starting to panic about teaching them for the rest of the year, now.

What do I do?

2. Dear Tom,

I have trouble with low-level disruption in my some of my classes, though this is getting a lot better now. However...

I have a year 8 group of 26 students. Of those 26, 8 are flagged as having behaviour issues. Even though only 8 are flagged, they are known in the school as being "the bad bunch", and I have been having trouble with behaviour from day one. I teach them on a Monday and a Friday (and some last thing on a Friday for Drama*) and I really struggle getting them to listen. When I ask someone to move in the class, they argue and end up being sent outside. Despite the fact that I use the behaviour pyramid that the school has in place, I can't get any work done. I've asked for support from the school and have received a wealth of advice, but nothing seems to work. Surely I can't pass my NQT with trouble like this?

Even though other teachers do have problems with this class, it seems that I am the only one who can't get anything done at all. I'm starting to panic about teaching them for the rest of the year, now.

What do I do?