1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Tom - Talking about sex during class

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by Tom_Bennett, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Tom_Bennett

Tom_Bennett Occasional commenter

Don't hold your white hairs against yourself- there's only one leader in this room. You. This lad isn't so nice; if he was, he wouldn't be treating your classroom- YOUR classroom, mind- like a bear pit. What kind of school is it? If it's sixth form then he doesn't have to be there. He needs to be aware that if he doesn't toe the line then he can be thrown off the course. SO draw up a list of grievances, arrange a meeting with him and his family, and make sure you get the support of your head of year. There MUST be a sense of consequence for him, otherwise there's no reason for him to amend his behaviour.
    He probably loves being the biggest fish in a small pond. Remind him you're the angler. Or something.
    Good luck
    Tom
    PS The whole sex thing is just chaff- young men acting older. Inappropriate for the classroom, and tell them that if they do it again they'll be out. Seriously, this kind of stuff has no place in the class.

2. I have worked with children with BESD and sexual disorders. You need to reinforce the fact that there is a time and a place to talk about sex- but talking openly in front of you and the rest of the class is unacceptable and not appropriate.They can think what they like but by talking about it openly in class they cross a red line.
    The students need to have sanctions imposed on them if they continue, for example an after school detention. Detention sometimes has negative connotations but with my BESD students I take the opportunity to chat to them and get to know them better rather than 'punishing' them per se. if he's a nice lad get to know him better and spend some quality time with him one to one.
    .By talking about sex openly in front of you they are showing you disrespect and setting a bad example to the rest of the students.