1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Tom, should | suspend classrtoom rules for a prospective teacher's observed lesson?

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by minnieminx, Apr 11, 2011.

1. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I'm stunned that anyone would even post such a query! If I was your HT and saw this post you would now have ruined any chance of a permanent post.

OF COURSE you are not to tell your class that all rules are suspended and they can do as they please, it is up to the visitor to set rules! Do you say the same to them when they have a supply teacher? "Hey it isn't me so my rules don't apply. Do as you please and it is up to the visiting teacher to deal with it. Nothing to do with me."
    Your HT is (or should be) well aware of the behaviour of all classes in the school and the reasons for the behaviour. They will also have references for the candidates, who may well be better than you at behaviour management. It is their job to choose the best person for the post based on everything they know. It is for them to decide about which class the new teacher will have and who would be best suited to it.

Your job is simply to write the best application you can, teach the best lesson you can, tell your class they will have a visitor teaching them and will have a lovely time and that some other people might be watching them, prepare well and perform brilliantly in the interview. That is it. Nothing more.

2. Tom_Bennett

Tom_Bennett Occasional commenter

Hi Trapin1
    I wish you every success with your application, and I hope that all your hard work pays off.
    To be honest, nobody really gets to decide whose rules are obeyed; it doesn't work like that. If you've done a great job drilling them to behave for you, then you'll be rewarded by their good behaviour in an observed lesson, and you'll be free to teach them in a variety of interesting ways, showing off your pedagogy and practise. Anyone that comes along later will take them as they find them- and in my experience, children can act very differently depending on who's teaching them, so any competitor will have to face that.
    Another factor is that in observation lessons, where senior staff are sitting at the back with clipboards, kids can often be subdued; they also often give new teachers a bit of a berth until they suss them out, which can sometimes mean that interview lessons can see kids unusually quiet. By the time they realise there's sport afoot, the new guy has left the room. And sometimes not; sometimes they re-enact Lord of the Flies for kicks, no matter who's in the room. That's kids for you.
    The point is that you don't get to decide whose rules are followed; it's not something you have remote control over. And I'm sure you wouldn't want to tell the class to misbehave for another teacher! I know that you don't want them to have an easy ride, but you should focus on demonstrating a fabulous lesson for the panel, nothing more. If you focus on anything else, you're taking your eye off the prize- getting the post. Think of ways that you can demonstrate your great control/ rapport with the class in the lesson itself- get them to do things that require good solid relationships....things that Johnny New Boy wouldn't be able to do. That's how you can show you're the right choice.
    Good luck
    http://behaviourguru.blogspot.com/

3. thequillguy

thequillguy New commenter

What an interesting proposition by the OP! TBF, it you're the internal candidate yet aren't odds-on to get the post, no amount of rule-bending would help you. It's got to be yours.