1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Tom - rough playground behaviour - please can you advise?

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by Tom_Bennett, Mar 22, 2011.

1. Tom_Bennett

Tom_Bennett Occasional commenter

Hi
    It sounds like you already know what the answer is, so allow me to back you up: no it bloody well isn't tolerable that children, no matter how small, be subject to this. If there's a culture of rough play at your school, who on earth is going to do anything about it other than the adults? The children certainly won't self-moderate, and if I were a parent and a child of mine attended a school where geting lumps knocked out of you was considered to be normal, I'd take my kid by the hand and leave forever, hitting off every fire alarm on my way out.
    Schools are meant to provide, above all, a safe environment for learning. If it doesn't do that, it should be closed down, or handed to parties who actually give a damn about child safety.
    Your options are:
    1. Change from within: complain about the situation to everyone, enlist other teachers' support, hold whole-class lessons on expectations of behaviour, the whole nine yards. talk to other teachers- do they agree with your assessment? Talk to governors and parents- get the feedback from the children even, to confirm that it isn't just your perception (after all, perhaps you've only seen one side to things...although I doubt it).
    2. Scan the job ads and take your services elsewhere.
    Whatever option you choose, good luck to you, and I applaud your sensitivity to the well-being of your children.
    http://behaviourguru.blogspot.com/

2. Hi Tom,
    Thanks for your reply. I thought I knew the answer, but my self-confidence has completely gone, and I was beginning to wonder if it was just me. I can't tell you what a relief it is to have some whole-hearted support. Thank you.

3. We sorted this at our school through a whole school approach. <u>All </u>TAs are out on the playground at playtime and they supervise games and equipment (for which they have been trained). During the assembly that follows, TA have their break. TAs were not intially very pleased, but now they actually enjoy the interaction with the children. There have some more reluctant TAs, but they have been named and shamed, and are now towing the line! We also have older children acting as buddies, or 'toilet' buddies, happy to accompany reception to the loo. Some are also responsible for handing out and collecting play equipment. Things are by no means perfect, but certainly greatly improved.
    Luchtime we have lunchtime suppervisors, with head and deputy roaming. Not quite such a good staff pupil ratio, but they try and run things as near to the breaktime regime as possible.

4. IMO TAs are employed to do what's on their job description. Teaching good social skills should be the 'job' of every adult in the child's life. Again, IMO the management in Infant schools need to be brave and stand up to Ofsted etc and say - actually we're working with the children and their families on establishing good behaviour first before worrying about what sodding level these children are at.