1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Tom- Meeting with parents

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by Chubacka, Mar 19, 2012.

1. I have made an appointment to see the parents of a child with ADHD in my class who has been causing numerous problems on a daily basis. He can be very disruptive during lessons and is usually sent out.
    I am planning on updating his IEP with behaviour targets before the meeting, is it a good idea to get SLT involved, the relevant person has not be helpful with this issue in the past. Ideally I would like to put him on daily report as I feel that will help him control his behaviour yet I cannot do this with authorisation.
    I am looking for advise on what to say during the meeting, I would like to make it clear that his behaviour is unacceptable and is disrupting the learning of others.
    Thanks

2. I have made an appointment to see the parents of a child with ADHD in my class who has been causing numerous problems on a daily basis. He can be very disruptive during lessons and is usually sent out.
    I am planning on updating his IEP with behaviour targets before the meeting, is it a good idea to get SLT involved, the relevant person has not be helpful with this issue in the past. Ideally I would like to put him on daily report as I feel that will help him control his behaviour yet I cannot do this with authorisation.
    I am looking for advise on what to say during the meeting, I would like to make it clear that his behaviour is unacceptable and is disrupting the learning of others.
    Thanks

3. ceesaw

ceesaw New commenter

I am a Secondary school teacher with a year 10 student with ADHD in my form. His medication is currently to the max deemed advisable. On report, he has been much, much better as focusing on their targets and getting feedback on every lesson has really helped. The difficulty is getting him to behave as well off report. His psychiatrist sees the report system as a really helpful strategy to focus students with ADHD so I'm all for it where there are obvious issues.

4. Tom_Bennett

Tom_Bennett Occasional commenter

Sorry to take so long to get back to you. I hope this is still relevant. If you are the child's teacher, then you are the one who ultimately has to put the most effort in to achieve behaviour management. It is only right and fair that you have a good deal of authority as to what happens in order to achieve this. If line management haven't been terribly effective then it may fall to you to do the right thing. A behaviour report sounds like a good strategy, as long as there are clear consequences in place depending on how the student responds to the report system; that means sanctions and rewards, however you choose to interpret that.

Just because a child is identified as ADHD doesn't provide him or the family with an excuse for misbehaviour; ADHD is a description of symptoms, not a diagnosis, so mustn't be used as a way to justify indiscipline, rudeness, etc.

In meetings, always focus on the behaviour, primarily, and refer tangentially to the child at first. Parents find it easier to dislocate bad behaviour from bad character, even though one flows from the other. But avoid making a personal attack on the child; always say, 'This behaviour is affecting his learning and now others. I want him to stay and learn, but if he won;t allow us to do this then I have to think of the other children who deserve an education too.' That's a tough one to argue against, and avoids personalising the discussion. But stand firm and accept nothing less than this: the status quo is not an option; for your sanity, for the class's rights as learners, and for this child's future. Stand firm, and good luck.

Tom

Read more from Tom here on his blog, or follow him.

5. Tom_Bennett

Tom_Bennett Occasional commenter

Sorry, my formatting appears to have staged a sit-in protest. Just imagine there are paragraphs and such.