1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Tom, is it worth contacting the Head?

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by Diddysan, Mar 9, 2012.

1. Diddysan

Diddysan New commenter

Do you think the Head is unaware of the situation? If he is, then he is the worst Head ever and any letter you send will not help one Iota.
    If he is aware of the situation (the more likely scenario), then how do you think he will react to your letter?

Bear in mind you have only been in the school a week. The school obviously has discipline issues and they need to be addressed. Do you have any solutions in mind? or would you simply be writing a letter pointing out what everybody at the school probably already knows?

2. Everything you've said is spot on... but seems to imply that there is nothing that could be done. That school though, is an awful place for staff and students and the idea that it should just be left makes me feel ill.

3. Is it possible to anonymously whistleblow this to someone? LA or Ofstead?

4. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

If you write a letter, what do you think your chances are of getting any more work at that school? Not that you'd want it !
    You are an NQT and on supply. Welcome to the world of teaching. [​IMG]

5. Tom_Bennett

Tom_Bennett Occasional commenter

Depressing truth time: if it's as bad as this, the Head is most likely perfectly aware of the situation. There would appear to be a structural failure within the system to be polite.
    How long will you be there? It sounds like you;ll be better off out of the place. Honestly, some schools don;t deserve to have kids, if they adopt such an invertebrate position towards keeping children and adults safe and learning.
    My advice: duck and cover.
    Read more from Tom here on his blog, or follow him.

6. I'm not going back. I'd rather be off work for a day or two (I've always got positive feedback from the schools I have been to so I probably won't be sat at home for long) filling out the application forms for schools I'd actually be able to teach in.

"Depressing truth" it certainly is.