1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Tom- I fear things may have got worse.

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by blundellgirl43, May 12, 2012.

1. blundellgirl43

blundellgirl43 New commenter

I recently posted about the difficulties I have had in the school I have just started in. Since then I have had 2 boys removed from my class "till things have calmed down". One over a week ago and the other today. Both these children have been reprimanded by me for a catalogue of things : shouting out in class (not the answers to questions, just shouting!), screwing up work , refusing to work, saying no when I've asked them to do something, walking out of a PE lesson because "I am not allowed to do it" even though I'd said no such thing (he'd been in trouble at playtime and refused to come and sort it out when I'd asked, something that was witnessed by the senior teacher). What worries me is that after said child had spoken to the teacher none of the sanctions were put in place that would normally happen for saying no to a teacher such as missing a break, instead he has been taken out of the class, I am beginning to worry that he has said I pick on him and that is why he's been removed.
    I think I may be getting paranoid (an easy thing to do if everyone is picking on you !) but I feel that I'm under constant scrutiny, I mentioned to the senior teacher about 2 children getting off the school bus and going to the shop and was told just to turn around ( but it was the look on his face I didn't like it was as if he was telling me that I'm being fussy) my concern was that not only do they buy energy drinks so come in climbing the walls but if something happened to them what is the consequences because I'd seen them!
    Sorry for the long post but I am just so miserable, I havent felt this bad in years.

2. blundellgirl43

blundellgirl43 New commenter

I recently posted about the difficulties I have had in the school I have just started in. Since then I have had 2 boys removed from my class "till things have calmed down". One over a week ago and the other today. Both these children have been reprimanded by me for a catalogue of things : shouting out in class (not the answers to questions, just shouting!), screwing up work , refusing to work, saying no when I've asked them to do something, walking out of a PE lesson because "I am not allowed to do it" even though I'd said no such thing (he'd been in trouble at playtime and refused to come and sort it out when I'd asked, something that was witnessed by the senior teacher). What worries me is that after said child had spoken to the teacher none of the sanctions were put in place that would normally happen for saying no to a teacher such as missing a break, instead he has been taken out of the class, I am beginning to worry that he has said I pick on him and that is why he's been removed.
    I think I may be getting paranoid (an easy thing to do if everyone is picking on you !) but I feel that I'm under constant scrutiny, I mentioned to the senior teacher about 2 children getting off the school bus and going to the shop and was told just to turn around ( but it was the look on his face I didn't like it was as if he was telling me that I'm being fussy) my concern was that not only do they buy energy drinks so come in climbing the walls but if something happened to them what is the consequences because I'd seen them!
    Sorry for the long post but I am just so miserable, I havent felt this bad in years.

3. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

This sounds as if your HOD needs to get you and the two boys together and support you. Ask him/her to set up this meeting soon. Ask him/her to get letter in the post to boys' parents and try to get them on board as well. There's nothing to be gained by removing boys from the class unless they have a meeting and a letter.I don't know these students' background and it sounds as if you're in Primary ?......If they have AEN/SEN, then get your SENCO on board as well.For your own emotional well-being, you MUST let SLT know how this is affecting you. It may well be that they see it as " minor" but if you're posting messages after midnight on a Friday, it clearly isn't "minor" at all. There is nothing worse than perceived lack of support for breaking morale. HODs et al have a responsibility for staff in their department as well as their subject. These boys are very much part of THEIR problem now. Hope it works out for you.

4. Tom_Bennett

Tom_Bennett Occasional commenter

Sorry to hear it. Not feeling supported by those around you is a dreadful feeling, so no wonder you feel under inspired. It's very easy for people peripheral to your situation to treat it less seriously than you do; this is after all a condition of human nature, to sympathise with our own maladies more closely than others.
    But it's no good to you. If this boy isn't getting regular sanctions, then the implicit (hell, the explicit) message is that he's not being punished because he hasn't done anything wrong. And you're absolutely right to see this as the school making you look like it's your fault.
    When will middle leaders ever learn? Teachers are very, very rarely 'to blame' for misbehaviour. If a child calls out, shouts, refuses to work, etc, then it's their choice, not the teacher's, and they need to see that the behaviour has consequences. Any other model simply teaches them that teachers new to a class are somehow flawed. The relationship might be new, but the rules of conduct are not.
    You need to confront this with the line management. Explicitly ask why normal procedures haven't been followed. Unless there's a good reason, ask that they be followed. Support your line management by doing your fair share of admin and detentions and phone calls etc. But you absolutely must receive satisfaction in this regard, or the children will learn never to mind your instructions. They'll see you as external to the whole school behaviour system.
    Re: the shop. What is the school rule on pupils going to the shops outside of school hours? If there is none (and I imagine there isn't) then I think there's nothing to be done. We can't control what they eat or drink before school, not should we crave that responsibility. Our remit, extraordinary circumstances excepting, is circumscribed by the school fences. The school is your territory, and attempting to amend their behaviour outside of that should only be attempted when you are comfortable with amending behaviour within the walls of the classroom.
    I would ignore such antics in future; and avoid raising them with the SLT- I can't envisage there's much they could do about it anyway. What action did you want them to take? Detentions for buying fizzy drinks? Patrolling the shop?
    It's great that you care, though. Deal with their hyperactivity as it emerges, and fix the things directly in front of you, one step at a time. That's all any of us can do. Anything more, and you'll break with stress. Be kind to yourself.
    Good luck
    Read more from Tom here on his blog, or
    follow him.