1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

'dear tom' how do I motivate lazy pupils?

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by starsunshine, Sep 6, 2013.

1. Sorry I should have mentioned that I'm a secondary school teacher, these are with a few ks3 classes and I'm in a new school this year!

2. GordonNome

GordonNome New commenter

Surely if they do not work in the lesson then that is a disciplinary issue? Maybe you should make it clear that not trying is punishable as they are wasting your time and choosing not to improve/engage. If they don't do homework then I assume there is a consequence - so make it clear that there is a consequence for not working in class too. And an additional consequence if their "not working" translates as "bothering others and stopping them doing their work"

3. Tom_Bennett

Tom_Bennett Occasional commenter

Motivation takes many forms. For me, if a kid doesn't work hard enough in class, I keep them behind after school to make up for the work. If you keep that up, and you never relent, I guarantee you they'll be highly motivated in lessons in future.

Good luck

Tom