1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Thoe..worried about the amount of time ive had off!

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by daisy18, May 24, 2011.

1. daisy18

daisy18 New commenter

Dear Theo
    I am coming to the end of my NQT year and looking for a job for September (due to my contract only being 12 months and ending due to timetable changes and a reduction in curriculum time in my subject).
    Ive had a hard time personally over the last month with some health problems. This has meant I have had to take some days off for doctors appintments hospital appointments a pending operation and recovery time afterwards. Ive probably had 11 days off in total since September.
    I obviously could not help this and I know my health comes first. My main concern is how this will look to potential employers.
    Do prospective employers usually ask how many days off you have had when they request a reference? Should I mention anything in the appliaction form regarding the reason for the time off?
    I am going to speak to the admin person at my school to try and ensure they put down these days were genuine.
    Also rather than 'sick' days I have usually known in advance and completed an absence form at school and left cover work, so will these days count and go down on the reference do you think? How will they be recorded?
    With all the worries i have (the op is this week) I really dont need this on top but Ive been applying for jobs and heard nothing as yet, like many others and ity is playing on my mind.

Thanks for your help

2. daisy18

daisy18 New commenter

Dear Theo
    I am coming to the end of my NQT year and looking for a job for September (due to my contract only being 12 months and ending due to timetable changes and a reduction in curriculum time in my subject).
    Ive had a hard time personally over the last month with some health problems. This has meant I have had to take some days off for doctors appintments hospital appointments a pending operation and recovery time afterwards. Ive probably had 11 days off in total since September.
    I obviously could not help this and I know my health comes first. My main concern is how this will look to potential employers.
    Do prospective employers usually ask how many days off you have had when they request a reference? Should I mention anything in the appliaction form regarding the reason for the time off?
    I am going to speak to the admin person at my school to try and ensure they put down these days were genuine.
    Also rather than 'sick' days I have usually known in advance and completed an absence form at school and left cover work, so will these days count and go down on the reference do you think? How will they be recorded?
    With all the worries i have (the op is this week) I really dont need this on top but Ive been applying for jobs and heard nothing as yet, like many others and ity is playing on my mind.

Thanks for your help

3. As far as I know, they're not actually allowed to question you regarding days you've taken off sick. There was a change to the law, something to do with the equal opportunities act I think?

4. little_miss_teach

little_miss_teach New commenter

Dont worry about it. I have had some considerable time off this year and in my previous school did have a 3 week absence. My old head had put this in the reference so I was asked at interview and I was completely upfront and honest with them about my time off at that school and told them this year I had not had a good year (knowing that when the reference comes through it will say) but I feel stronger and ready to start afresh and move on. I got offered the job!!

5. I had five weeks off last year. When you get offered a job they will often ask you to fill in a health declaration (some schools do it before interview and then destroy it if you're unsuccessful) which gets passed on to occupational health at the local authority.
    When I filled in mine, OH then called me to ask about the five weeks off - I told them what had happened (well not the whole detail, just enough!) and that the issue had been resolved and my doctor was happy that the issue was unlikely to happen again (to cut a long story short, had migraines all the time due to the stress of the role I was in at the time - obviously a new job without the difficulties wouldn't be an issue)
    OH were happy to inform the school that there was no medical reason for me not to be able to fulfill my role and they didn't even ask for a doctor's report.
    So my advice to you is: be honest when filling in your form, make sure you explain that the issue won't affect your future work (well only if that is the truth of course!) and trust that you will get the chance to explain the time off if needed
    Good luck!