1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear @TheoGriff, should I stay or should I go?

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by onbekende, Nov 20, 2015.

1. onbekende

onbekende New commenter

I'm in my fourth year at the school where I started as an NQT, and I have enjoyed working there. I have, however, been unsuccessful as an internal applicant for Head of Department and Head of Year jobs at this school.

I am in the process now of looking for an HoD role elsewhere and recently had some very positive feedback after missing out on getting a job, but now I’m torn: an Assistant Head of Year post from Sept 2016 is being advertised internally at my school!

One part of me says – great, apply and if you get it, it means you can justify staying at this school you enjoy working at. Various trusted colleagues are giving me a nudge to apply too.

The other part of me says no – if I land this role, it would mean staying till at least 2018 to get any benefit from the experience, which is quite a long time to put myself ‘out of the market’ as it were for other more substantial promotions elsewhere.

Any advice would be much appreciated.
    Thanks!

2. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

What is your subject? If you are in your 4th year, (3 and a bit years experience) I don't think you really have the experience to be a head of department or really a head of year. I think you are trying to run too early...

For me you are far, far too preoccupied with this idea of getting a promotion. I don't think you have done the time to be a credible HoD up to now. Maybe next year at the earliest. You seem to have no real plan other than getting a promotion. Throwing applications everywhere will concern headteachers, especially for internal jobs.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

You are trying to jump over a stage, I believe.

Asst HoY, or 2i/c in a department would seem to me to be the next step for someone with only 4 years experience behind them. Once you have carried out a role as a second, you will be better placed to make the next jump.

Best wishes