1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear TheoGriff Second referee - HOD post

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by wigglyworm, Jan 22, 2012.

1. wigglyworm

wigglyworm New commenter

Dear TheoGriff,
    Further to your very helpful advice, may I ask for some additional support regarding selection of 2nd referees? There is much discussion on the boards on this topic but I can't quite work out what the form is where no awkward circumstances apply.
    I am in my 3rd year at my second school applying for HOD posts.
    My current HOD of dept has said she is happy to write the 2nd ref, although we both know she will be asked to contribute/write much of the head's ref too. I could also potentially ask the Head of Sixth as I am in her pastoral team, (although it is not a pastoral job for which I am applying).
    My previous head gave me a marvellous reference apparently when I moved to my current role and seemed to think well of me and I am certain he would be happy to act as a referee again. He only, however, knew me early in my career, before I gained significant leadership responsibilities, (although he had indicated that he thought I was more than capable of taking leadership - I moved for family reasons). I am still in close contact with the HOD there too.
    Question:
    Will it be better to put a head from a previous school (3yrs ago), a HOD of dept from a previous school (who knows me very well) or my current HOD?
    Thanks in advance

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Applying for a HoD post, it would be good to have the support of your current HoD. Even if she is going to write 2 refs probably!
    You could always if you have room write a short paragraph in your letter: If you wish to have a third referee, then T Griff Esq, Head of English, Greengrass School, Bradford BD1 34X would be very willing to write in support of my application.
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

3. wigglyworm

wigglyworm New commenter

Very many thanks for the swift response.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Speed is a matter of luck, so I shouldn't get too pleased with myself over this.
    But thanks for thanking me - I HATE it when myself and others reply to someone and then the original poster doesn't even bother to post again.
    So rude!
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars