1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear theogriff: References and supply work

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by hazcard, Oct 4, 2009.

1. hazcard

hazcard New commenter

Hello,
    I usually work as a supply teacher but would now like to try for permanent positions. You've stated in previous posts that teachers should put down their current or most recent Headteacher, what happens if you were on supply at a school for one term to cover the end of a teacher's maternity leave, do I still use them?
    If this is the case then I assume that I need to speak to my last headteacher to ask their permission first (as it's only polite), what do I do if they refuse? I did get regular glowing feedback from my supply agency but I'd like to think of the negative before thinking of the positive!
    Also, how hard is it to get a permanent position, I've heard reports that teachers with years of experience (like me) are finding it harder to secure positions because of their cost. Is this true? I need to look at ways of making myself desirable to other schools (difficult concept for me). Would it help my case if I included subjects that I had taught in the past for short periods of time as a way of enhancing my application? For example I have experience of teaching Maths and IT.
    Many thanks (in anticipation) for your help.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Q1. Yes, ask latest Head - and they shouldn't refuse as they have to give a reference. No worries there! But put the supply agency down too, as a third referee even if only two asked for, although I should warn you that from my own experience on the receiving end, supply agency references tend to be very short. A real referee is better, always.
    Q2 There is currently some over-supply of teachers, due to the credit crunch. Fewer teachers are leaving the profession (hang on to a job, any job!), and more have been going in. So, yes, it's getting harder. And yes, the stupid budgeting system means that more expensive teachers can be rejected - so you have to show them that you are worth every penny.
    But you can improve your chances by following the advice that I put in the thread pinned to the top of the Forum. If you do a search here on "Thank you Theo" you'll see that loads of Tessers have found that<u> following that advice to the letter</u> actually brings you interviews and jobs.
    Q3 Maths and IT? You can teach that? For goodness sake lad/lass! Maths teachers are hard to find; any timetabler also likes teachers with flexibility. Put those two together and you have an advantage that you should emphasise. "I am very flexible in the subjects that i teach; as well as my main subject of Ancient Greek, I have taught Maths to years 7-9, and IT to years 8-9. As my subsidiary subject in my degree was Physics, I could also teach Science for KS3. My weekend role as a coach for the Lower Chipping Junior Rugby Team (ages 9 - 15) means that I could also do boys' P.E.".
    Don't forget also to mention any clubs and other activities that you could contribute to. Are you musical or sporty?
    And finally . . . have a look at the Independent Forum here, read my introductions to indy schools at the top, and consider whether employment there might also be an option for you. That gives another layer of possible jobs.
    Best wishes.

3. hazcard

hazcard New commenter

Thank you for the advice, you made me realise that I've been selling myself short for sometime, the tips of writing my application form made me realise that I'd not put the right emphasis on my skills at all - no wonder I haven't had an interview!
    I now have 2 interviews and will be reading through the interview tips (I've bumped them for others too).
    So thank you again for the advice and I will keep you posted if I get a job :)

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I look forward to awarding you the Sparkling Star!

5. hazcard

hazcard New commenter

Had another interview this week and... got the job! Yahoooooooooooooooooo.

It's only temporary to cover a maternity leave but it's a start :)

6. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Congratulations!
    Makes me geel there's hope as I fall into the ' teachers with years of experience (like me) are finding it harder to secure positions because of their cost' category. Particularly as I know there's a maternity cover coming up in my 'regular' school next Feb and I lost the last maternity cover because of my cost.

7. hazcard

hazcard New commenter

I think it depends on the school, as I've applied for a few jobs and not been invited for interview (this is from September BTW). I assume they wanted someone cheaper than me. However, there are some places that know that experience and flexibility far outweighs the cost.
    Take on Theo's advice to me, what can you teach and what can you offer? Make sure you sell yourself, not something that I'm good at TBH, and I know that the first interview I went to I simply wasn't properly prepared (mentally). This time I was a bit more relaxed and stopped to think about their questions before answering.
    I have to say, thank you so much Theo for all your advice, I couldn't have done this without you. xx

8. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Hazcard, you're a star, a sparkling star!
    [​IMG]

9. hazcard

hazcard New commenter

Well, here I am again...
    I've had over two years at this school but now my contract will not be extended as the School has to reduce its expenditure.
    God help me, I have to start the application process again [​IMG] and I feel lost. I simply do not know what to write in my personal statement that will make me look attractive to potential employers. I know there are some aspects to my experience that some employers may jump at (the fact that I teach Chemistry and Physics to KS4 must be worth something), but I feel at my very lowest at present and feel that I don't have anything to offer.
    So could someone give me a kick or some damn good advice because the first application needs to be on Tuesday!
    Regards
    haz

10. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

You got a job two years ago. You can get one now.
    You are applying from a position of strength as you are employed - many applicants are not.
    You will have strong references
    Physics and Chemistry are good, very good. History would be a lot less so, I'm afraid.
    Read this:
    <h3>Application form help needed!! </h3>And finally:
    [​IMG]
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Moving into Headship or SLT seminar on Saturday 17th March.
    www.tesweekendworkshop90.eventbrite.com

11. hazcard

hazcard New commenter

Thank you, I needed that! I have now written a personal statement an executive summary and a covering letter! In fact it's all ready to go - just need to print it off and post it!
    So these are for you:
    [​IMG]

12. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Oh freesias too - how lovely!
    Looking forward to that Dear Theo I got that job new thread from you . . .
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Moving into Headship or SLT seminar on Saturday 17th March.
    www.tesweekendworkshop90.eventbrite.com