1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theogriff - Please help RE settlement agreement/redundancy/reference

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by ilovescience, Aug 14, 2015.

1. Dear Theogriff

If the reason for a SA is redundancy, is it still wise to stick to one of the three formal dates?

With regard to an open reference, I have been advised by the union that this is normal practice with a SA. However do you think it is best to instead outline in the agreement that there have been no employment issues and request that any reference given reflects this? There have been no issues but i am worried that an agreed/open reference will make it seem that there have been.

Please help!!! Thanks

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Q1 Yes, always.

Settlement Agreements (formerly known as Compromise Agreements)

Not in my experience. An open reference To whom it may concern is of little use as not accepted by many schools and viewed with suspicion by most.

And no CP issues either.

An open reference might indeed. An agreed one shouldn't be a problem if properly drafted.

Best wishes

Meet Theo on line on the TES JobSeekers Forum, where she answers jobseeking and careers queries regularly each week.

3. Wow thank you so much for the quick reply, I am in knots over this and you have really helped.

Please can I ask one more thing, what is the difference between an open and an agreed reference?

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

An open reference begins To whom it may concern, and is clearly something written to get you off their back. [​IMG] Often it gets given to the candidate to enclose with any application, and is worthless.

An agreed reference is one written specifically to one school, in response to a request for a reference, and begins Dear Dr Griff. It is agreed between you, your Union and the school. You should ensure that it shows that there are no CP concerns or disciplinary/capability issues.

Best wishes

Meet Theo on line on the TES JobSeekers Forum, where she answers jobseeking and careers queries regularly each week.

5. Thankyou very very much for your help!

6. Dear TheoGriff

I've just read this thread and wondered if you could advise me as I have just been given an agreed reference with' to whom it may concern ' at the top . Whilst the reference itself just explains my role as a teacher and nothing bad I wondered after reading this if it should be addressed differently. ?

I have been very poorly so just getting back on my feet . My union rep has not mentioned it.

Look forward to your reply .

7. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

Whisky63 -

I'm concerned your union rep seems to have taken no note of this. What a reference can leave out can be as damaging as what it leaves in.

Start a new thread - TG and MM will see it more quickly.

8. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

This may just be the basic copy . . . but you should ensure that they agree that it will be addressed to each individual school. Addressed as is normal for reference requests . . .

More fools them.

Hope you get better soon.

Best wishes

9. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Whisky - here is a quote from the Safer Recruitment statutory guidance:

Professional and character references 4.65

At least two references should be sought. The purpose of seeking references is to obtain objective and factual information to support appointment decisions. They should always be sought and obtained directly from the referee. Employers should not rely on references or testimonials provided by the candidate, or on open references and testimonials, i.e. “To Whom It May Concern”. There have been instances of candidates forging references, also open references or testimonials might be the result of a compromise agreement and are unlikely to include any adverse comments

Your union should jolly well know that!

Best wishes

10. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

And blow me down - I have just got a copy of the newest documentation, been out less than a month, which has similar but slightly different wording:

Employment history and references

69. Employers should always ask for written information about previous employment history and check that information is not contradictory or incomplete. References should be sought on all short-listed candidates, including internal ones, before interview, so that any issues of concern they raise can be explored further with the referee, and taken up with the candidate at interview.

70. The purpose of seeking references is to obtain objective and factual information to support appointment decisions. References should always be obtained, scrutinised and any concerns resolved satisfactorily, before the appointment is confirmed. They should always be requested directly from the referee and employers should not rely on open references, for example in the form of ‘to whom it may concern’ testimonials. If a candidate for a teaching post is not currently employed as a teacher, it is also advisable to check with the school, college or local authority at which they were most recently employed, to confirm details of their employment and their reasons for leaving.

71. On receipt, references should be checked to ensure that all specific questions have been answered satisfactorily. The referee should be contacted to provide further clarification as appropriate: for example if the answers are vague. They should also be compared for consistency with the information provided by the candidate on their application form. Any discrepancies should be taken up with the candidate.

72. Any information about past disciplinary action or allegations should be considered carefully when assessing the applicant’s suitability for the post (including information obtained from the Employer Access Online checks referred to previously).

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/447595/KCSIE_July_2015.pdf

You will note that there is no longer any reference to open references being possibly the result of a compromise agreement, but you can bet your bottom dollar that most Heads will have that idea still in their minds!

Best wishes