1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theogriff - or others, interview tomorrow and VERY nervous

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by mirigirl, May 25, 2016.

1. mirigirl

mirigirl New commenter

I have an interview lesson tomorrow morning, in a school in which I have been volunteering (I have been staying in the area, and wanted to keep busy whilst unable to work full time, but now plans have changed and I am staying in the area). I have my lesson planned, have talked to the class teacher I am replacing, have back-ups for everything from failing technology to missing whiteboard markers. My question is how to calm the nerves so I can focus on the teaching. I went through many Mocksteds, and two Ofsted inspections last year (lucky me, I changed schools....) and was so nervous I ended up tongue tied. Does anyone have any foolproof tips?

Also, i have read your excellent advice articles before, but can't find them in the "new look" site. Can someone point me to them, as a bit of calming bedtime reading.

Thank you...

2. gingerhobo48

gingerhobo48 Star commenter

I hope everything was alright in the end.I suffer from really bad nerves, and I mean REALLY bad.I had an interview on Tuesday (I got the job yaaaaayyyy!) It didn't involve a lesson observation but I found from previous feedback I forget to smile when with the children, so a simple thing you can rectify. I also physically shake with nerves, which isn't good as I normally teach EY's so normally there's a story involved, so I really think about the resources I am going to use. On a practical level, I find taking deep breaths help but not too many, and water.I took a big bottle in with me and I drank nearly all of it during the interview. I also tried 'bigging' myself up in my head beforehand , telling myself I have a lot to offer and I am just what they need which seemed to help. I really hate the way I get so nervous, it annoys me but I am getting better.I try and put it into perspective, the fear I am feeling.I have a very real fear, a phobia which I have had to face so anything I have been nervous of doing since then doesn't seem so bad (which it isn't)