1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear TheoGriff - or anyone else who can help! Salary Section of App form

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by pepsi_kda, May 16, 2011.

1. pepsi_kda

pepsi_kda New commenter

I'm currently applying for jobs after 3years of supply & freelance curriculum enrichment work. I taught full time for just over 3 years before taking this new direction and now miss it so much I'm hoping to go back to full time teaching with extra experience under my belt.
    Anyway, I'm filling in application forms and don't know what to write when it asks about salary.
    I'm assuming I'm on MPS4 (unless a school is willing to push this up for me as I've been running teacher training and also adding to my own CPD over the last 3 years), but should I just put N/A when it asks for 'Group of School / Number on Roll' and 'Spine Point'? And what should I write for 'Gross Salary'?
    Thank you in advance for you help on this point.

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

You'll be on the scale you were when you left full-time teaching i e spine point eg MPS 1-6
    Group of school/Number on roll on our forms always refer to the schools in which one has taught.

3. pepsi_kda

pepsi_kda New commenter

Thanks, Lara.
    I'm currently working in a number of schools in various capacities so was wondering what to write for 'Group of School/Number on Roll' in this case (and what to write for 'Gross Salary' when I'm self-employed for most of my work and employed by a supply agency too).
    Has anyone completed an application form in a similar position?

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

When I left supply teaching for a permanent post I put something like 50-500 on the NOR, as that was more or less the range I'd worked in.

Salary I wrote my daily supply rate from the agency at that point and put 'per day' as well.

Worked for me at three different points in my career, so can't be totally wrong.

5. pepsi_kda

pepsi_kda New commenter

Thanks Minnieminx!

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, there's no one easy answer for a complex case like yours.
    Hollow laugh at this point. Schools are strapped for cash, you may find yourself undercut by a NQT on point 1. A school will pay you exactly what you are entitled to. No more (it cannot afford it) and no less (the uniion will not allow this).
    If you are actually doing supply at this point, then follow Minnie's suggestion for the NOR and Gross salary.
    Group of School applies only to Leadership pay, so is not relevant to you.
    Good luck!

TheoGriff. Member of the TES Careers Advice Service.

I
    do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the
    Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive
    summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really
    appreciate.

The next Job Seminars are all sold out, I'm afraid, although Julia is thinking of organising some more.

A new SLT seminar is available now on 22 May <u>www.tesweekendworkshop32.eventbrite.com</u>, and another is planned for 18 June.

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.

Look forward to seeing you!

7. pepsi_kda

pepsi_kda New commenter

Thank you Theo
    (I wrote that bit with a hollow laugh myself!)

8. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

:)

TheoGriff. Member of the TES Careers Advice Service.

I
    do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the
    Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive
    summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really
    appreciate.

The next Job Seminars are all sold out, I'm afraid, although Julia is thinking of organising some more.

A new SLT seminar is available now on 22 May <u>www.tesweekendworkshop32.eventbrite.com</u>, and another is planned for 18 June.

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.

Look forward to seeing you!