1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear @theogriff - executive summary advice

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by corblimeyguvnor, Oct 31, 2015.

1. corblimeyguvnor

corblimeyguvnor New commenter

Dear Theo,
    I have started to think about applying for SLT jobs and have previously used your advice on executive summaries to get middle management positions (thank you!)
    I'm struggling with whether to use an executive summary for posts for which the person spec seems to be criteria such as "passion for teaching children" or "energy and unwavering enthusiasm". How do you advise outlining that I have these 'personal' qualities in an executive summary? It's hard to find concrete examples or evidence other than simply just knowing that I am passionate and energetic!
    Also, as I am moving from middle to senior positions, what should I do on a summary of I do not have evidence for one of the requirements (desirable rather than essential) or if I lack examples of one requirement? Do I leave this off? Or identify that I am aware it's a weakness and say how I would address it in terms of professional development? (As an example, a desirable requirement for one post is "experience or appreciation of the boarding school ethos" but I have never worked in a boarding school)
    Many thanks in advance.
    :)
    Corblimeyguvnor

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Hullo there and I'm glad that you found the E.S. useful last time round.

Come on! Thinking hat on! What have you done that has shown that you have a passion for teaching, going the extra mile for example. Ans when have you been particularly energetic on doing something? I can think of half a dozen examples for myself of those two, and I don't expect that you are that much different from me!

As for the No Evidence, just leave"em out, but be prepared to be grilled about that in interview. Tip for boarding - think CP...

Good luck!

corblimeyguvnor likes this.
  3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Another thought...

As it's some time since you last applied you may need to refresh your memory. I'll post links to all the articles, even those not relevant to you for the benefit of other people.

corblimeyguvnor likes this.
  4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

5. corblimeyguvnor

corblimeyguvnor New commenter

Thank you so much for all of your advice.

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

(The missing thumbs-up emoticon )