1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear@TheoGriff....career is going nowhere

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by Harriet_Louise, Nov 22, 2015.

1. Harriet_Louise

Harriet_Louise New commenter

Hello. Currently feeling desperately unhappy in my present situation. I am currently on M5 in a school which has just under gone some major re-structuring. I was previously working at a middle school where I ran my own history department. I am now in a full secondary school with 50 contact hours over two weeks. Heads of department and SLT are relying on teachers to build and develop SOWs that so not exist- so we are planning day by day. Marking has to be completed every three weeks- but this is quite unsustainable. I have already had three observations in one term and I am putting 250 children's needs before my own. I do not want to leave the profession but I am not sure my health can keep up with this demand. I have considered applying for HofD but I feel with a year at Middle School and no recent A-Level teaching I am not in a position to apply for this role. I would also like to do some work in publishing but I am also not sure about this considering royalties are so low. Do you think I should stick it out in my current role or apply for another teaching job elsewhere??
    Thanks

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Hullo there Harriet, and welcome to the forum!

The first thing that I would say is that I cannot make decisions for you, I'm afraid. Partly because I do not and cannot know everything that needs to be known - only you know that!

But there are points here that do need to be taken into consideration.

This is very important. Your health is paramount. You must put this in writing to your HoD with a CC to the member of SLT that line-manages the HoD, asking for their proposals to ensure that your health is not further undermined by the unacceptable demands of the workload.

No, you would have no credibility as a HoD unless you had several cohorts of A-level under your belt. What about GCSE? Do you have that experience?

How can I provide details of examination results?

If you do have GCSE, you could look at posts in 11-16 schools. If not, have you considered a post in a Prep School? I mean a real Prep, one which goes up to year 8.

An overview of the Independent sector

If you have not considered the indy sector, here are some more articles:

Independent Sector FAQs

How much will I earn in the independent sector?

Moving from state to independent

Teachers talk about what it's like working in one Indy School

I'm afraid that there I can give no advice at all, sorry!

Best wishes

3. owltutors1

owltutors1 Occasional commenter

Hi,

I am really sorry to hear that you are unhappy in the current position you are in. Teaching is such a stressful profession and quite often politics and paperwork can result in a love for teaching being lost.

I have recently begun posting on TES, and have noticed how many teachers are in a similar position to yourself. I have shared my experiences with others about how I became a full time tutor, and this may be something that you could consider, as it would allow you to continue teaching (without the pressures of a classroom!) and also spend time to work on your publishing.

It's amazing how many opportunities there are for teachers - good luck! :)

Harriet_Louise likes this.
  4. Harriet_Louise

Harriet_Louise New commenter

Hello

Thank your for your advice. The paperwork and politics is increasingly getting in the way of me enjoying and delivering lessons. We have three meetings scheduled for this week and a data deadline for Friday- a fantastic example of paper politics. Thank you for your advice about becoming a tutor. This is an area that quite a few of my teacher friends are looking to move into. What other examples of 'opportunities' are you thinking that teachers could move into?

5. owltutors1

This sounds all too familiar, I hope you are managing to stay on top of things and that the countdown to Christmas is on!

For me personally, I considered the following opportunities:
    1. Supply teaching - still in classroom but none of the pressures
    2. Tuition - more money for less work and a one to one experience with teaching
    3. Intervention teacher - working with only small groups of children
    4. PRU - I wouldn't recommend this as from experience it is extremely demanding and stressful both physically and emotionally
    5. Tutor in young offenders institution - something I applied for then backed out at the last minute ! Feltham a

6. owltutors1

Feltham are always looking for tutors for the boys, again this may be quite stressful or it could be a welcome change from the norm
    6. Teaching English as a foreign language - you can study for a TEFL qualification or a CELTA and I would imagine teaching adults would be really enjoyable as they want to learn!

Non teaching jobs you may wish to consider:
    PA - you already have the organizational skills and communication skills!
    Publishing - working with a company that creates educational resources?
    Child minding or nannying - if you like working with young children this may be an option

7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Possible other careers

Best wishes