1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear TheoGriff - Advice needed please

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by angelchem, Nov 19, 2015.

1. angelchem

angelchem New commenter

Please could you advise.

I am a qualified teacher. I have spent the last year volunteering to gain additional experience in a primary school. Currently I am a supply teacher and a volunteer. I am seeking a more permanent post.

At the end of my primary training I did secure a full-time teaching post but was unable to take the position due to family illness. I am now in a position to take on the responsibility of a more permanent post. I am going to apply for a part-time position (2 days a week), Unfortuneatly I have heard conversations across schools that have suggested that supply teachers are (often) considered sub standard and not good enough to secure a class teacher position. (These are not my words or beliefs). On the back of these comments I would like to tell the school about previous circumctances (being a carer) and the reasons for wanting a part-time position.

I also live in an area where jobs are scarce with lots of competition.

How can I portray myself in the best light? Should I include this information in the cover letter? What happens if they skip straight to my application?

Thank you for taking the time to read and reply.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Hello there, and welcome to our forum.

May I just check - have you done your induction year? If not, you will be applying as a NQT, of course.

Now for your questions.

Q1. By showing that you match the school's requirements as set out in their documentation.

Q2. I'm not quite clear which information you are referring to, but whatever it is, do ensure that it is entirely relevant, and brief. A long rambling explanation will not be helpful.

Q3. They may or may not read it.

This may be useful for you

https://www.tes.com/news/blog/being-supply-ever

If you need more help on how to produce a n effective application, do come down to the Jobseekers forum.

Best wishes