1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear TheoGriff - Advice needed please

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by angelchem, Nov 12, 2015.

1. angelchem

angelchem New commenter

I am new to Primary Teaching and I am currently gaining additional experience through volunteering and supply teaching. I am currently looking for examples of outstanding teaching to use as a focus to improve my teaching. I have seen a range of lessons in a range of schools and they are all so different that I feel I am unsure what I need to be aiming for. (I hope this makes sense). I often review videos from NCTEM and You Tube (old Teacher TV), please could you recommend alternative video resources or a book. In partciular I would like to focus on planning lessons. I have lots of ideas but cannot marry a sequence to produce a good lesson for an interview that promotes progress and secures a Class Teacher role. Thank you for your help!

I am also currently looking to volunteer in an outstanding school and hope to participate in planning meetings. I am unsure how to move forward.

I am also open to suggestions from the TES Community.

2. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

You say you're "new to primary teaching" - does that mean you're qualified for another phase and want to move into primary teaching? Or are you qualified for primary but simply unable as yet to secure a post?

3. angelchem

angelchem New commenter

Dear Middlemarch, I used to teach in Secondary School (for 4 years) I qualified through the GTP and moved to the South West about 3 years ago. Inbetween moving I did supply in both Primary and Seconday. (Despite some schools having the opinion I am a failing secondary teacher switiching to primary I received OFsted good with elements of oustanding observation grades). I have since re-trained as a Primary Teacher and have a PGCE Primary with QTS. As I have already passed Induction through secondary I am not classified as an NQT so I cannot access further training (as an NQT). At the end of my training I did secure a position (without a lesson observation only interview) but could not take up the opportunity in September due to becoming a full-time carer. I am nolonger in that position and I am currently doing supply in my original training school and a local school as well as volunteering. I have recently attended an interview in my local school (I was unsuccessful). Feedback was the children didn't make progress which was as a result of my planning and activities, so I am looking for a positive way to move forward through observing others and improving my lesson planning skills. I hope this makes sense. My local school is currently RI. My training school was graded Outstanding but is also a very small rural school, with only one teacher per year so no opportunity to share planning. I apologise for the long reply. Any advice would be most welcome.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Have you considered the TES on-line training courses? @angelchem ?

Institute of Education

Outstanding teaching

This, of course, is your biggest problem, as there are few vacancies generally in the SW. Once in position, people tend to stay!

So the first step is finding vacancies to apply for

Get the TES Jobs App

How to set up a Job Alert

And making sure that you are fully prepared for any vacancy that crops up:

Get ready for the application season!

Do come over to the Jobseekers Forum for more advice on getting that application just right, and suggestions for interview preparation too, when the time comes.

Best wishes

5. angelchem

angelchem New commenter

Thank you for your advice. The courses look interesting.

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

(The missing thumbs-up emoticon)

And they are accessible from Deepest Devon and Cornwall!

Best wishes