1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by computer2000, Nov 9, 2015.

1. computer2000

computer2000 New commenter

Please may I ask your advice/ opinion. I was looking for schools for my daughter 7+ and there is an independent prep school ( a bit far from us) which offers bursaries and I am really tempted for my daughter to apply because I think she would thrive there. However, there is now a vacancy going in this school which would be a promotion and an exciting step for me. I wander if I apply for 7+ and put my application for the job - will the Headmaster look at my application as "Oh, he wants to get the kid into the school...that is why he applied". Will my application look manipulative because of this reason? In this case, I would not apply for 7+ ( she can apply for 8+ next year) and just put the job application for now as combining two things might be damaging for my application? 7+ place is a hard decision for us anyway as we cannot afford fees, we can only consider it on a bursary basis...I would really appreciate your opinion. Thank you.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Good morning!

Just separate entirely those two issues.

• Apply for whichever school is best for your daughter at whatever time is right for her.
    • Apply for whichever job is right for you, assuming that you are right for the job.

Don't try and have those together in your mind at all.

And discover if you are right for the job by doing a good E.S. before applying. Come over to Jobseekers and ask to find out more about that and about applications advice in general.

Best wishes

hellothisismyusername likes this.