1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo,

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by kimberleyanddarren, Oct 17, 2015.

1. kimberleyanddarren

kimberleyanddarren New commenter

I have been offered an interview at a new school and I've been asked to take a portfolio showing pupil progress. I cannot take school data as (to cut a very long story short) we have used a thousand assessment systems in the last year due to leadership changes at my current school and the data is just not comparable we have had levels, point scores, under/within/above to name a few! So I really need to show this in other none data driven ways.

So far I've taken evidence from my children's English maths and topic books plus photos of working walls and targets I give to my SEN a children. Anything else?

Also I've tried finding all the practice interview questions but all the links just send me to the homepage :( it's for an intervention teacher job so is there anything else I should know about?

2. marlin

marlin Star commenter

I'm afraid since the move to NuTES not all of Theo's links work and need some detective work to find!
    General Interview questions can be found here
    Theo's advice about mind mapping is here
    More advice from Theo here

(The last link takes you to the home page for Theo's blogs)

3. kimberleyanddarren

Thank you, Marlin :)

4. marlin

marlin Star commenter

You're welcome :)

Good luck with the interview!

kimberleyanddarren likes this.
  5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Congratulations to you, @kimberleyanddarren ! Great news about getting that interview.

Thank you @marlin!

Yes, I'm burning the midnight oil, and today the Saturday morning, afternoon and evening oil trying to get the advice articles revised, re-formatted, and links updated in this nu-TES.

I hope to get all the interview advice articles cleaned and polished by tomorrow evening; about half of them are so far.

They are perfectly readable before I've got to them, but the internal links often don't work, so I do apologise for that.

Help, I've got an interview! *** The basic advice ***

Teaching an observed lesson at interview

Using mind-mapping for interviews *** The best-loved advice ***

Tell us about yourself - dream or nightmare question?

Daft Interview Questions

What shall I wear to the interview?

Interviews – making a positive first impression

How do you decide who to appoint?

What excuse can I give for going to interview?

Child Protection: the questions, NOT the answers

A typical Child Protection Policy

Two interviews and a dilemma

Interview feedback - they blamed my experience, but they knew that when they shortlisted me!

SLT interviews - possible questions

In-tray exercises. Deputy Head

Assistant Head interviews

General interview questions

Questions to ask at the end of your interview

On Old-TES we had a very nice tradition that when you actually got a job, you started a brand-new thread (not adding it to this one - a brand-new thread) where you told us your good news. You call it Dear Theo - I got that job! and this gives everyone a chance to congratulate you. It also gives them hope and inspiration for their own jobseeking, to see you successful.

If you see one of these threads, make sure you congratulate people!

So I will end by saying that we look forward to seeing your Dear Theo - I got that job!

Best Wishes

monicabilongame likes this.
  6. kimberleyanddarren

Thanks Theo, I will look through all of those :)

Any advice on the portfolio?

7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Sorry - missed that! (And almost missed your post above - you need to tag me by writing @TheoGriff - that way I'll get an alert to come back to the thread. But not tonight, still trudging through all those articles!)

How about some planning sheets showing how there is progress in what you are providing in the way of learning? And showing how in a given lesson you check for learning and progress?

Good luck!

8. kimberleyanddarren

Thank you @TheoGriff, would you recommend I label all of the things in the folder with an explanation of each one? If so, what us the best way to present this? Or should I just include lots of evidence and be prepared for me to talk about it during the interview?

9. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Both!

Don't put in too much, it'll take too much time.

Make it so that it is self-explanatory for anyone who wants to just flick through it, but be prepared to elaborate.

Good night!