1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by Allworknosleep, Sep 27, 2015.

1. Allworknosleep

Allworknosleep New commenter

I am a current Deputy Head Teacher in a Primary School. I am considering applying for a job I have seen advertised as a School's Adviser (training, moderation NQT support, School Improvement etc.).

My question is two-parted:

1. How will this affect my job prospects when I want to get back into Senior Leadership at a later date (either DHT or HT)?

2. Would this answer differ for a UK school as opposed to an International School?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I cannot, of course, tell you what will happen in the future. And not just because my Crystal Ball is in for repair! But I can tell you about the past..

A few years ago Local Authorities started shutting down their School Advisory Services, and at the TES Careers unit we were overwhelmed with desperate soon-to-be-made-redundant advisors who were finding it impossible to get back into schools as the gap was viewed as problematic with so much changing in schools.

Those trying to get back as DHT or HT were the worse off.

As for the International schools, I cannot say, but I will say that they do like recent relevant experience.

Sorry of this is not the answer that you were hoping for.

3. Allworknosleep

Allworknosleep New commenter

It wasn't really- but I am realist at the end of the day and I appreciate an honest answer! Many thanks for your help!