1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by jomaimai, Sep 25, 2015.

1. jomaimai

jomaimai Established commenter

Dear Theo,

I would like to apply for a new post and I need to give my last head as a referee.

I am not working at the school anymore and when I left, last July, I was told, by the head, that a reference will be given when required.

I have now e-mailed her asking if she would be comfortable giving a reference and she has no answered me.

What should I do? Should I write down her details in the application and e-mail her saying that I had to do it?

Thanks

2. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

If she told you a reference would be given when required, then she means it.

Don't contact her directly again - simply put her down as a reference, and if your application is considered suitable, they will contact her.

Good luck!

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Jomaimal posted this on two forums; I replied on the other forum before I saw CW's advice above. I will now, therefore, say that Yes, I agree with CW - If you had not written specifically to the Head about this job application.

Now that you have, I don't think that you should go ahead and put down her name without hearing something from the school. Suppose she was then offended because you had gone ahead without her agreement, or worse still, the day after you posted off the application, wrote back to refuse.

So this is what i think you should do now, as posted on the other forum:

Heads are busy people; why not try e-mailing her secretary, saying that Ms X confirmed that she would be happy to write a reference, and asking her (the Sec) if it would therefore be OK to put her down as a referee.

This may get a faster response!

And for future reference, once you have permission, you don't have to write and ask again, but you DO have tow write and say that you have put their name down again. I would suggest something along these lines:

Dear Ms X. As you so kindly agreed in June to write references in support of my applications for a teaching post, I am just letting you know that you will, I hope, be approached by Greengates Academy where i have just applied for the post Of Teacher of Chemistry.

Thank you again for being so helpful.