1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by house10, May 9, 2012.

1. house10

house10 New commenter

I've found the perfect job and am currently writing my application. Last year i was placed on informal capability. I was on it a few months and then was taken off. My application has a part for any disciplinary taken against me. Do I have to put this as it was informal? I don't want to decieve the new school but also don't want them to dismiss my application beause of this.
    What should I do? x

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Glad to hear that a good job for you has appeared. Hope that you are reading and taking note of all the advice in the Welcome thread Shortlisting clickables - it really works!
    You don't have to put it down as capability is not disciplinary.
    BUT . . .
    Your referee (which must be your current Head as ref 1) will almost certainly mention this issue. So you need to mention it too in your letter, otherwise it looks as though you are deceiving them when they get the reference.
    The thing to do is to emphasise the positives. i.e. what you have learned. Use your own words and make it 100% true, but you might find something along these lines reflects your situation. I have developed a great deal in my teaching over the last year. Working with a colleague, I have learnt how to become a reflective practitioner, how to plan really effectively to ensure learning and progress, and how to adapt my teaching to the specific needs of the pupils. I am confident that I provide my pupils with the very best possible teaching.
    Best wishes