1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by aliciablanco, May 8, 2012.

1. Dear Theo,

I love the fact that you are so honest and as we would say in Spanish "have no hairs on your tongue".

Let's see if it works this time.

Thanks ever so much for your reply. Although a little hard to digest, I appreciate your words of advice.

I must be realistic and make sure I do things right. I know what I can offer and I know why I want to move back to the UK so for me right now NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE. If schools are going to have certain expectations I will have to find a way to help them see that I am the best person for the job.

OK, most of the jargon you listed I am VERY FAMILIAR WITH as I work in the Middle East where there are so many cases of Moderate Learning Difficulty pupils and also a few with Severe Learning Difficulties. Remember, in this part of the world cousins and closer relatives marry each other which means there are probably even more severe cases over here than in the UK. All my teaching has to be adapted to individual needs and my planning differentiated according to ability and individual learning styles.

I am familiar with the role of High level teaching assistants and how some of the teachers responsibilities are shared in some specific situations through out the school day...

I am at present completing my Webfolio using all my Continuous Professional Development and all the evidence I have collected to actually prove I am up to date with the policies on inclusion published by the government in the UK in the past few years.

I designed a whole scheme of work for a Pre-Foundation class based on the 5 principles of the document Every Child Matters at the international school I worked at in Spain so I can talk forever and a day about how to implement the necessary strategies to work towards the 5 principles....

As Head of Primary in the school I worked at in Spain I took part in the levelling of Year 2 and Year 6 SAT's.

The Early Years Foundation Stage in MY PASSION and I have been through all the changes and developments since the Early Learning Goals were introduced. I have built several formats for Individual Learning Profiles with the current one having awider range of strategies to use in the Language development area.... I could talk about this for hours I SIMPLY LOVE IT!!!!!

OK, although I have read about contextual value-added data and I know it is used more and more in schools specially those where inclusion truly takes place because of the nature of the area the school is in. I find it very interesting and I feel I could learn to use the data base with some proper training.

I could go on and on about many more things and I will do so in my applications when I start typing away.

Now, my next question would be: "If I prepare my applications (about 5 or 6 right now), do you offer a service to check them out and advise me as to what to do so I HAVE MORE POSSIBILITIES OF GETTING THE JOB?"

I hope my paragraphs are better this time....

Thanks again!!!!

Alicia

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

https://community.tes.co.uk/forums/t/567724.aspx?PageIndex=1
    Leetelo todo - hay varias fotos.
    [​IMG]
    Best wishes.

3. Dear Theo,

I have read the link now. Well, well, well el mundo es realmente un pañuelo.

I haven't told you where I was born but I bet you live somewhere around the same area.

Ok, something has happened since my last post and already I need advice. What can you tell me about One Education?
    I applied for a job with them and they have shown an interest in me because of the details I give in my statement about the project I am currently running in the UAE.

I have so many questions before I commit myself to anything I feel speaking to them rather than e-mailing each other would be best.

I would really appreciate some advice (again) .

Besitos.

Alicia

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Nothing.
    Nada de nada de nada.
    Because we are not allowed according to the TES Terms and Conditions to talk about individual schools, colleges, agencies, etc.
    Sorry!
    You'll just have to Google it and make up your own mind.
    Depends whether you have any eses when you speak . . .
    Best wishes

5. Dear Theo,

Let's say your oranges are not as sweet as mine then.

After I typed my previous post I thought you probably wouldn't be allowed to comment on anything.

I have done a little research and I know what they do now and how they do it.
    I have just finished typing an e-mail (a brief and to the point one) enquiring about a few things before my application is taken any further. At the end of the day I am leaving a permanent job over here to move back to the UK so I have to play safe and be sure I make the right choices.

As you can see my "to the point" skills are improving slowly.

Thanks again!

Good oil where you are?

Besitos.

Alicia

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

En este momento - en la Capital Olímpica . . . dentro de nada voy rumbo a donde fue pregonero Antonio Banderas.

7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Good, although I must warn you that despite your very understandable desire to know a lot of details about the school and the job, you may find that they are reluctant to reply. They could see it as a waste of their time. After all, if they have, say, 120 applicants, and have to reply individually to only a quarter of them . . .
    Reading the school's Inspection report, combing its website, doing general research on line, can usually be very effective.

8. Dear Theo,

The e-mail I typed was for a training organisation who have shown some interest in the project I have started over here. They have e-mailed me quite a few times now giving me concrete details about what they do and have actually answered every question I asked. So they sound professional enough to me.
    They felt my programme could be something that could be implemented in schools in the UK, specially those where there is a high percentage of EAL pupils.

I have been asked to put together a proposal as they would like to discuss it with the Department of Education as they have put in a bid recently and are hoping to design a few courses as a step further from the Reading Recovery Program already offered as part of CPD to a lot of schools in the UK. (I am sure you know the programme).

The job is not guaranteed at all and they still won't know for a few months if the Department of Education approves their bid.
    They said they would like to meet me on Skype first and then when I am in Europe in July to hopefully offer me something exciting (so long as they have had a positive outcome from their negotiations).

Of course, this doesn't mean anything at all really as it doesn't give me any security and moving back to the UK for this... Would it be right to leave a well paid full time post without knowing how far this is going to go?

Any advice?

Besitos.

Alicia

9. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

That really sounds very interesting, Alicia.
    And hopeful!
    True, true.
    Depends entirely on how much YOU depend on employment. If you live with someone in a well-paid job who is prepared to support you to set this up, it might be worthe considering. But you wouldn't wish to be destitute . . .Best wishes