1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo.....

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by TheoGriff, May 1, 2012.

1. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, I don't doubt it!
    However, posters say that the advice that gets them interviews is the advice inside the Shortlisting clickables in the Welcome thread here at the top of this Forum.
    You need to use the Supply to show how good you are.
    Supply is no easy option and gives a great deal of professional development. I always have had a great deal of time for those who have done supply.
    Are you presenting this positively, therefore, in your applications?
    Let's look at what you gain from doing supply. The supply teaching has given you flexibility and versatility, allowed you to observe a variety of different classroom practices and learn from them,, improved your classroom management skills from dealing with a wide range of different pupils, from the too-compliant to the downright difficult. You have gained self-reliance, have learnt to work co-operatively with colleagues in different types of schools, you are able to deal with difficult situations (and difficult people), you have experience of a wide range of year groups. You have become a much more effective teacher than you were before, and are very grateful for these opportunities.

Are you setting all this out in the letter, right at the beginning, getting it all in before you even mention the word "Supply"?

Since successfully completing my PGCE in xxx I have been able to acquire etc etc etc through a series of contracts as a supply teacher. (You can easily write a whole paragraph on the benefits of supply and what it will enable you to bring to this school).

Make sure that you get someone who you've worked for in a school to write one of your references, and get him/her to include the phrase "Would appoint without hesitation if I had a vacancy". Get into your letter that schools asked for you by name from the agency (but only if true, not if not!), that you had repeat postings because you were a valued colleague.
    In other words, don't be apologetic, supply is great preparation for the day-to-day of teaching.
    And I do hope that you are noting all those posters who say "the executive summary worked for me - I got no interviews until I used it" - make sure that you read those Shortlisting clickables as I suggested above.
    Finally, you might like to open your piggy bank and come for a One-to-One session with me or someone else from the team. Again, people have found this helpful, and e-mail or post to say that they got the job.
    Dear Everyone... I met TheoGriff!...
    Now this costs money, and although it is worth it , it always makes sense to try out the free advice first!
    Best wishes

2. Thank you for this, it all sounds like very useful advice. I have, of course, read all the clickables stuff but I am submitting my first ever application with executive summary tomorrow.
    Thanks again,
    Looby.