1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo

Discussion in 'Independent' started by Pianist82, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Dear Theo,

I would be grateful for some advice, please.

I completed a primary GTP course in 2007 then got a job in a state school. Things didn't go well, I was struggling with anxiety and depression and lost my job. I struggled to find anything else for several months then discovered EFL teaching, which I enjoyed for just over a year.

I have now relocated to Scotland and am hoping to go back into the primary classroom, however as I don't have enough primary teaching experience the GTCS will not register me and I'm unable to get onto a top-up teaching course at the local university. I applied to do a PGDE but didn't get onto the course as I don't yet have a high enough grade in maths (a 'C' at GCSE was ok for the GTP, but not for PGDE here). I understand that not all independent school require teachers to be registered with GTCS - is this correct? Do you think I should consider the independent schools as I have no experience there (other than currently working at an independent school's after school club)?

As far as anxiety and depression goes, my life has improved dramatically, I am not the same person that I was and I would like to be given the opportunity to teach a primary class again - I'm just trying to work out the best way forward.

Thanks in advance.

2. Dear Theo,

I would be grateful for some advice, please.

I completed a primary GTP course in 2007 then got a job in a state school. Things didn't go well, I was struggling with anxiety and depression and lost my job. I struggled to find anything else for several months then discovered EFL teaching, which I enjoyed for just over a year.

I have now relocated to Scotland and am hoping to go back into the primary classroom, however as I don't have enough primary teaching experience the GTCS will not register me and I'm unable to get onto a top-up teaching course at the local university. I applied to do a PGDE but didn't get onto the course as I don't yet have a high enough grade in maths (a 'C' at GCSE was ok for the GTP, but not for PGDE here). I understand that not all independent school require teachers to be registered with GTCS - is this correct? Do you think I should consider the independent schools as I have no experience there (other than currently working at an independent school's after school club)?

As far as anxiety and depression goes, my life has improved dramatically, I am not the same person that I was and I would like to be given the opportunity to teach a primary class again - I'm just trying to work out the best way forward.

Thanks in advance.

3. If you are at all musical (as your name suggests) or indeed sporty, i'd apply to prep schools as these skills can be quite in demand. Should get round the qualification issue too as technically you don't need to have trained as a teacher to work in an indie.

4. Thanks for your advice Rowntreegirl. Good deduction - I am musical, definitely not sporty though! Will give the prep schools a try.

5. Thank you very much for your advice. The law in Scotland seems to be stricter but I will go ahead and try. I was registered with GTCE so I will mention that as you suggest. Fingers crossed!