1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by billymcbeard, Apr 17, 2012.

1. billymcbeard

billymcbeard New commenter

Hi and thanks for taking the time to read this all of those who do.

I am currently preparing an application letter for the post of assessment and teaching adviser. I am currently a teacher of a Y3/4 class, on scale M5.

I fit the criteria for the post, most of which are aimed at showing effective classroom practice backed up by evidence such as observations of outstanding teaching. Having read through the many sections of the relevant departments website, I now have way to link my practice to that which I will need to lead and advise on in this post.

I guess my question relates to the style and layout of the letter. When applying for classroom teaching posts I used 4 subheadings to summarize my skills and suitability for the role. Is this too big of a risk to take with such a post? Should I simply stick to a letter in the traditional sense?

I'm a little in the dark as I have no previous experience of applying for a non-teaching post, nor have I applied for a leadership scale position.

Any advice received with gratitude.
    Bill

2. billymcbeard

billymcbeard New commenter

Hi and thanks for taking the time to read this all of those who do.

I am currently preparing an application letter for the post of assessment and teaching adviser. I am currently a teacher of a Y3/4 class, on scale M5.

I fit the criteria for the post, most of which are aimed at showing effective classroom practice backed up by evidence such as observations of outstanding teaching. Having read through the many sections of the relevant departments website, I now have way to link my practice to that which I will need to lead and advise on in this post.

I guess my question relates to the style and layout of the letter. When applying for classroom teaching posts I used 4 subheadings to summarize my skills and suitability for the role. Is this too big of a risk to take with such a post? Should I simply stick to a letter in the traditional sense?

I'm a little in the dark as I have no previous experience of applying for a non-teaching post, nor have I applied for a leadership scale position.

Any advice received with gratitude.
    Bill

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Theo would say try and sign up for the leadership course coming up shortly if there's still time.
    You have read all the clickables in the pinned thread at the start of this forum haven't you. Loads of useful advice about statements, letter of application and the Executive Summary where you fit your abilities to the Job spec.?

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Loads of it in the Welcome thread!
    This thread gives a summary overall of various steps, but the two shortlisting clickables in the Welcome thread should show you where to go.
    Dear Theo: Cover Letter..
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate