1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo

Discussion in 'Independent' started by ConnieBO, Apr 14, 2012.

1. I'm re-posting this with the correct subject line...
    I am coming to the end of my PGCE and beginning to look for jobs in the independent sector, in particular boarding prep-schools. I get daily alerts from TES. Am I right that teachers can hand in their notice right up to half-term, so there will still be new jobs coming up till the end of May ish? Many thanks Connie

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

This is limiting your chances of starting your imduction year. Limiting it severely. There will clearly be very few jobs in such a restricted section of the school market.
    Yes, and no.
    Yes, in maintained schools, teachers can hand in their notice for September by 31 May, so there will in fact be jobs being advertised in June, after the notice deadline.
    But in the independent sector, most schools have a one-term notice clause in contracts, so staff will be giving in their notice this week at the latest. Many will have already told their Head that they have another job, or are retiring, not waiting for the last minute to give notice. That is why jobs for September have been advertised since Christmas.
    I would suggest that you consider very carefully whether you are right in applying only to the prep boarding sector.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.