1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by rptlondon, Apr 7, 2012.

1. Here is my dilemma: Head or Heart...?

I have an interview for an AHT role at a new Primary school, which will be part of an All-Through School. The pace of the job, Head, vision, etc. all appeal to my leadership style and it's there's an opportunity to be part of something new and exciting at the beginning, but also something that already has a vision, Head established, etc. The Head has been honest that the role will require more deputy responsibilities until the leadership team is expanded.
    This is the 'Heart' role.

The day after the AHT interview is the closing date for a DHT position at a large Infants School. Here, there is massive opportunity to make my mark. This is the 'Head' role. This role and school also has massive benefits for personal circumstances.

IF I was successful with the AHT in the All-Through school, do I still send my application off to the DHT post at the Infants school, and IF I am successful there, can/should I accept that and reject the previous offer? Knowing how much is invested into the recruitment process for SLT - it feels very uneasy to do.
    If I don't get the AHT post, the decision is easier and I would put all my efforts into the DHT application.

I guess I just want some views on 'etiquette'.....

2. Here is my dilemma: Head or Heart...?

I have an interview for an AHT role at a new Primary school, which will be part of an All-Through School. The pace of the job, Head, vision, etc. all appeal to my leadership style and it's there's an opportunity to be part of something new and exciting at the beginning, but also something that already has a vision, Head established, etc. The Head has been honest that the role will require more deputy responsibilities until the leadership team is expanded.
    This is the 'Heart' role.

The day after the AHT interview is the closing date for a DHT position at a large Infants School. Here, there is massive opportunity to make my mark. This is the 'Head' role. This role and school also has massive benefits for personal circumstances.

IF I was successful with the AHT in the All-Through school, do I still send my application off to the DHT post at the Infants school, and IF I am successful there, can/should I accept that and reject the previous offer? Knowing how much is invested into the recruitment process for SLT - it feels very uneasy to do.
    If I don't get the AHT post, the decision is easier and I would put all my efforts into the DHT application.

I guess I just want some views on 'etiquette'.....

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, a horrid dilemma.
    But let's put it this way. Suppose that you accepted the job, either of them, and then 2 weeks later they contacted you to say that actually they had just interviewed someone else that they liked better, so were withdrawing their offer to you, sorry.
    How would you feel?
    You would feel, correctly, that they had broken their contractual agreement with you. And very peeved about it, probably in fact getting onto your union and talking about suing them!
    When you accept one job, you have to withdraw from any others that you might have in the pipeline, because you are now enaged to that school. A verbal contract is a contract still.
    In fact if you did accept A, then go to interview at B, accept them, and get back to A turning them down after accepting, for no reason other than you had a better offer, B would be justified in withdrawing their offer to you because you falsely represented yourself as being free to enter into a contract with them when you had already entered into a contract with A.
    So you could end up with no job . . .
    Tricky, isn't it?
    I don't expect you had considered it from that point of view, just that you are a bit frustrated about the clash of jobs and dates!
    So prepare your DHT application too, send it off if you don't get the AHT post, or send it off before if you are unsure of the post, and withdraw as soon as you accept the AHT).
    Best wishes

4. Theo,
    Thank you. I think I knew the decision I have to make, you've verbalised it for me.