1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo

Discussion in 'Independent' started by Romaica, Apr 7, 2012.

1. I have been teaching English for nine years and I have TEFL certificate. I am looking for a challenging teaching experience in the UK, but I am neither a UK or EU resident nor do I have a work permit.
    My question is, do schools in the UK hire international teachers who do not have a UK work permit? And if so where can I find such schools? Is there a trusted site where I can upload my CV and be contacted from interested employers?

Thank you in advance

2. I have been teaching English for nine years and I have TEFL certificate. I am looking for a challenging teaching experience in the UK, but I am neither a UK or EU resident nor do I have a work permit.
    My question is, do schools in the UK hire international teachers who do not have a UK work permit? And if so where can I find such schools? Is there a trusted site where I can upload my CV and be contacted from interested employers?

Thank you in advance

3. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

Without being an EU citizen, member of an EEA country or having a valid UK work permit you will not be able to work in the UK.
    In addition to this, without having a valid teaching qualification, it is extremely unlikely that any school would go through a process in order for you to obtain a work permit and then a valid teaching qualification.
    To make matters even more unlikely there are currently 24 vacancies in the Independent sector - the only sector who would consider you without a formal teaching qualification ( TEFL is not a standard school based teaching qualification. It is useful to have in addition to a PGCE, GTP, BEd, etc. etc. ). My school - although not based in the UK - received over 100 applications for an English Language teaching position earlier this year, most of whom were highly qualified.
    I am sorry if it sounds negative, but that is the reality.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, I'm afraid that Karvol's bad news is correct. In fact, it's about to get worse . . .
    If you are not a EU or EEA citizen (nothing to do with being a resident, it's citizenship that counts) not only do you need permission to work, you actually need permission to stray in the country any longer than for a tourist trip.
    Specifically, you need to have permission to live and work in the UK according to the 1996 Asylum and Immigration Act, as amended in 2004, 2006 and 2008. If you have non-EU nationality this is unlikely, although if you can claim some EU nationality from your parents or grandparents this may be possible. You need to consult the Embassy of any possible other nationality about this.
    Then to teach in a maintained state school in England or Wales you need to have Qualified Teacher Status. If you have foreign teaching qualifications, you may be able to get them validated. I suggest that you consult the British Embassy about this.
    It is actually a big legal fence to jump over, bnefore you even consider the problem of getting a job.
    No, because there are so very many teachers looking for jobs that schools don't go out looking for them, the teachers come to them when they advertise a post. In large numbers. There are schools receiving 200 or more applications for just one job, I'm afraid.
    This is doubly bad news, because it means that as you are not in an area of shortage skills, you are unlikely to qualify for a work permit, I'm afraid. Although I am no expert on this, and if you google you will find many people who ARE experts on this matter and can give you advice - at a price, however.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    For the full TES Weekend Workshop programme please visit www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars or contact advice@tes.co.uk for one-to-one sessions.

5. Thank you Karvol and Theo for your replies and honesty.
    I knew it wasn't going to be easy that's why I posted the question to get to the bottom of things, instead of searching aimlessly and without a clear cut answer.
    On a lighter tone, I think marrying Prince Harry would be easier!! haha! [​IMG]
    Thanks again.