1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo ...

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by bd3fml, Apr 3, 2012.

1. I have read a lot of your posts which have been very helpful, thank you! I am going to apply for a post in an international school and the job only asks for a CV and recent photograph .. no supporting summary or letter. There also isn't a job description with the post, therefore I was thinking of sending my CV and after visiting the school website I have adapted my teaching statement within my CV to meet the needs of the school. I have read under your 'what not to do' section that you shouldn't just submit an application form without a statement... in this circumstance what would you advise I do, is my teaching statement in my CV enough?

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

International jobs are different, as you know.
    I would suggest a max 2-page CV and then a 1.5 - 2 page statement or letter of application. I think that they take it for granted that you will write something. If you have a statement within your CV, just make sure that the whole thing doesn't look too long. I know that this sounds daft, but peopel just get reading-fatigue with long documents!
    Read this for more advice:
    https://community.tes.co.uk/forums/t/458885.aspx?PageIndex=1
    Best wishes

3. Thank you very much, that is a real help and the link is also very valuable. I have decided to cut my teaching statement in my CV and send a 1.5 - 2 page statement as I felt I was trying to cut it short in my CV and not providing the information as well as I could, thanks again!

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

That sounds good!
    We have a tradition on here that when you get a job, you start a new thread called Dear Theo - I got that job!
    This allows people to congratulate you, gives me a chance to award you the Sparkly Star, and provides hope for all other posters when they see it.
    So we look forward to yours!
    Best wishes