1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo

Discussion in 'Independent' started by Helenr1975, Mar 10, 2012.

1. Hi!

I hope you can help. I am looking for information and any comments from anyone with knowledge of the Buckingham University Independent PGCE. I am a TA in a private English primary school in Spain so am looking into the pros and cons of doing this course. I currently plan to stay in Spain for the forseable future but want to gather as much information as possible on how doing this course would impact future career opportunities should I need to return to the UK.

Whilst this course seems a good way to get qualified as a teacher in the short term, the fact that I can do the course by only teaching in one year group makes me wonder if this would deter potential future employers (in both the independent and state sectors) from employing me.

Also I have been advised that I would have to do a QTS conversion course to qualify for working in a state school back in the UK if my plans change. Has anyone got experience of this?

I was surprised to hear that you have to start teaching asap when your school term starts, a good month before the first residential training weekend and that there are no online classes as such. If anyone could provide details of the support that is available from the Buckingham University website and how their school helped prepare them for the course that would be much appreciated.
    Thanks for your help!
    Helen

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I know absolutely nothing about this course, I'm afraid, but can address slightly your issue, I think.
    Does this mean that you can ONLY teach one year? Or that you don't have to teach more than one? This makes a difference.
    Also, how many placements, how many year groups, are taught on other primary PGCEs? A comparative view would be helpful here.
    Is this in fact a GTP course? (Google it if you are not sure what it is!) This is what happens with those courses, so normal really.
    As for impact later on, while for your first appointment a school might consider your PGCE course, later on no-one will even bother to look at what you did.
    My main query here is - are you eligible for doing this course and obtaining PGCE qualification when teaching abroad? I thought (but may be wrong here, no expert on this) that you had to be in UK or in a Forces SEC school . . . So do check this point before you get too keen on the course.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Moving into Headship or SLT seminar on Saturday 17th March.
    www.tesweekendworkshop90.eventbrite.com

3. <table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td class="post">Hi Helen
    I am currently doing the University of Buckingham PGCE. I am doing Secondary and have to teach in two consecutive key stages - but I'm not sure what the requirements are for Primary. The UoB offer two qualifications, of which one comes with QTS (so you would be able to work in the state sector here without the need for conversion).
    There are several people on my course who work in international schools, as far afield as China and Hong Kong! However, you would need to check with UoB that your school is suitable - do you follow British curricula?
    I found the residentials to be a waste of time, as they are mostly aimed at completely new and inexperienced teachers (of which I am not one). Also, they are always in half term!! If you are a completely new and inexperienced teacher, then you are expected to get through the first 6 weeks of term with no support from UoB - although you do have a mentor within your own school (usually HoD).
    I would advise you to email the secretary in the School of Education - she has been helpful in the past. The address should be on the website.
    </td></tr></table>

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

That's really helpful - thank you CupCake!
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Moving into Headship or SLT seminar on Saturday 17th March.
    www.tesweekendworkshop90.eventbrite.com