1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by mermy, Mar 6, 2012.

1. mermy

mermy Occasional commenter

I have just read many of your posts and I value your advice. I hope you can help me with a few personal questions.

I am keen on adding an executive summary in future applications, as it sounds like a helpful tool to get invited to the interview, but I have a problem. I am from Germany, my qualification is the German 'Staatsexamen', subjects were English and Geography. I came to England the day after completing my university degree. Within a week I was working as a languages supply teacher (German and French). It somehow happened that I was only working in MFL so I got my QTS via the OTTP in that subject area. Now, in the executive summary I am supposed to show how I fit into their person specification. The first thing is always "degree in subject area". I don't have a degree in languages! I am a native speaker and I have seven teaching years experience, but I don't have the degree. Does it mean my application would straight be discarded?

Another (bigger) problem I have is that I left my last school voluntarily after four years. I can't give too much detail, but a bullying head who clearly wanted me out and unfair capability procedures made me decide to leave. I have an agreed reference thanks to my union. But, not long ago I found out that on reference forms headteachers are asked to tick a box on whether that reference is part of a compromise agreement (which mine is). Is this true? And if yes, would you as a previous headteacher discard such an application straight away? Also, in the box "reasons for leaving" I always write "personal reasons". Is this acceptable? If you invited that person for interview, would you ask for details?

I really hope you can help. I am getting disheartened, but I need to give it one final push to secure a job as of September and the application season is starting so I need to be prepared.

2. mermy

mermy Occasional commenter

Apologies for the lack of paragraphs, I thought TES had sorted it out by now.