1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by alexanderosman, Feb 14, 2012.

1. alexanderosman

alexanderosman Occasional commenter

I am aware that after a compromise agreement with an agreed reference, it may be impossible to get a new teaching job. How likely is it that someone would be accepted by a supply agency?
    (Having read previous threads I have discovered that it is possible to include a clause in the agreement so that employers/agencies are not allowed to be told about it. Since I am not leaving due to capability/risk of dismissal, there are plenty of positive aspects of my teaching which will be included in the reference, so it will not be a bland/damning with faint praise reference.)
    Also if the teacher decided to apply for jobs outside teaching, would potential employers recognise the situation?
    Is it possible to agree the date that employment ceases as the end of a term, so that it is not obvious that the teacher left mid-term?
    Thanks (sorry if I've put this in the wrong forum, I wasn't sure which to go for!)

2. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Compromise agreements result in the 'agreement' of a reference; however, nothing prevents a school to which such a teacher applies from contacting the headteacher who wrote it and asking for further details - indeed, safeguarding training (which is now mandatory) instructs heads to ensure they know exactly why a teacher left a school.
    Absolutely not, as safeguarding demands that your employment dates be rigidly precise.

3. AlwaysAdaptable

AlwaysAdaptable New commenter

So what happens if a teacher has been bullied out. Surely the new head is going to use their discretion. The old head is hardly going to say they bullied their staff out of their jobs.

4. alexanderosman

Thanks for replies.
    Middlemarch I have been told that the agreement will include a gagging clause preventing either the school or the teacher from talking about it.
    Surely teachers are often less than truthful about why they left a school? Only the teacher themself can know the real reason and there is often more than one. If the reason was nothing to do with any safeguarding issue then surely there wouldn't be a problem?

5. Middlemarch

I'd be astounded if any head agreed to a 'gagging order' - and such a term won't carry any weight unless there's been a court order, in any case. I've done a couple of 'agreed references' - and there was a great deal of discussion before both parties 'agreed', because such a reference doesn't mean 'the head will write whatever the teacher wants'.
    "If the reason was nothing to do with any safeguarding issue then surely there wouldn't be a problem?"
    But unless the head of a school to which the teacher applies has this confirmed to them by the previous head, they will not know it has nothing to do with safeguarding. 'Safer recruitment' means the head is obligated to check, rather than assume.

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I think that a supply agency will be less picky than a school, so you may well have a better chance. But beware: there is not much supply work out there.
    Ah yes, but canny Heads include in the reference form something along these lines:
    I confirm that this reference has been written freely, and is not an agreed reference nor part of a compromise agreement or other similar arrangement. Signed ................................................
    I doubt it.
    Only if they agree to pay you to the end of the term, in which case you would still be in their employment.
    But as others have pointed out, you must not mis-represent either any facts or the dates of any employment, whether for teaching posts or other jobs.
    Middlemarch is correct to remind you that a Head who has any doubts about a reference should telephone the referee to get clarification, and may, in fact, not be doing the job properly if s/he fails to do so.
    Do talk to your union about your concerns and get specific advice from them; as they know the circumstances, they can give you the best pointers for the future.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Win That Teaching Job seminar on Saturday February 25th, and also the Moving into Headship or SLT seminar on Saturday 17th March.
    www.tesweekendworkshop87.eventbrite.comwww.tesweekendworkshop90.eventbrite.com

7. alexanderosman

Thanks Theo.
    I certainly wouldn't misrepresent employment dates, but if agreement is that employment ceases on a certain date and I was being paid until then, that would be the date I put down even though I hadn't actually been in school for the whole time?
    So plan A - doing whatever supply is available (I'm hoping a reasonable amount as I'm primary) and then applying to maternity/sickness covers with unusual start dates, doing 1-1/support teaching and/or PPA cover, or possibly getting a role in a supply school - isn't completely impossible?
    If that doesn't work out plan B is to take a pay cut and go for a job outside teaching (I have some useful skills and qualifications) in order to have a steady enough income to cover bills. I will only do this if no alternative financially, but I would be better off working for a lower wage outside teaching than in my current teaching post.

8. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes. After all, you don't put 23rd July when your contract finishes on 31 August. No problems!
    Plan A may work out for you - I hope so!
    Very best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Win That Teaching Job seminar on Saturday February 25th, and also the Moving into Headship or SLT seminar on Saturday 17th March.
    www.tesweekendworkshop87.eventbrite.comwww.tesweekendworkshop90.eventbrite.com

9. alexanderosman

Thanks, so do I!

10. plinth

plinth New commenter

Wow! This is like reading about myself, except my "thing" is not exactly with the head, more complex/ higher up. Heads advice is to leave! Dont wanna be on dole tho!

11. Middlemarch

So long as you don't take other employment during the time you say you were still employed by the school.

12. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Normally that would be covered in the agreement, I thought. Could be wrong, in which case this is a good point.
    Best wishes
    www.tesweekendworkshop87.eventbrite.com
    www.tesweekendworkshop90.eventbrite.com